In 2007, the most recent year for which there are statistics, an estimated 9,800 people were treated in emergency rooms for injuries caused by fireworks, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Children aged 5-14 were more than twice as likely to get hurt as people of other ages.
How to avoid them: The tip of a firework or sparkler can get as hot as 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit--hot enough to cause third-degree burns, according to the NFPA. "Let the professionals do the fireworks," Beers says. And don't let kids pick up leftover fireworks–they can still be active, the NFPA says.
How to treat injury: Get your child to the emergency room right away, especially for sparkler burns, Gardner says. "Don't mess with the burn area, don't put anything on it," he says. Same goes for injuries sustained from explosions, especially to the eye.