Photo Credit: Bravo
As a mother of two who loves reality television, I cannot wait for the latest installment of Bravo's Housewives series -- The Real Housewives of D.C. -- which premieres on Aug. 5.
The city promises to bring as much drama as the other locations (Orange County, New York, Atlanta and New Jersey) and has stirred up controversies before the premiere has even aired. For one thing, Michaele Salahi, the infamous White House crasher, is a member of the cast. The show has also ruffled feathers in the district famously deemed "Chocolate City," because only one of the five Housewives cast is African-American -- real estate guru Stacie Turner. Add to the pot glam transplanted Brit Catherine Ommanney, Southern belle Lynda Erkiletian and Kennedy family friend Mary Schmidt Amons, and you've got a great show.
Here are five reasons why this mom looks forward to putting the kids to bed and settling in for an hour of guilty pleasure and all things Real Housewives.
1. Their Significant Others: No matter which city, one of the best parts of any Real Housewives series is the casts' intimate relationships. This is what makes great television and cannot be faked -- arguments with husbands and exes are something that most of us moms can understand well. Seeing the interactions between the Housewives and their male counterparts gives the viewer clear insight into their lives. In past seasons, two cast members' mates have passed away, several have gone through splits and others have found second (or third) chances at love. Seeing the romantic and vulnerable sides of the Housewives and their love lives (or lack thereof) makes these ladies women that we can truly relate to.
2. Those Crazy Kids: And you thought your children were brats! The one absolutely unpredictable factor in any family is the behavior of one's offspring -- and boy do the Housewives' kids deliver! From being embarrassed by mom to totally disrespecting her, or having a tantrum over a desired new car, the teens don't disappoint! The young adults are rivaled only by their younger counterparts known for playing with guests' food at fancy restaurants, climbing their parents' friend's legs and having sudden and unexpected crying outbursts. New Jersey Housewife Teresa Giudice and her four daughters, the youngest born this season, provide enough kid entertainment for all of the Housewives combined.
3. Those Crazy Ladies: There is nothing like a woman possessed, and it seems like every Real Housewife has a moment where they lose touch with sanity. New Jersey Housewife Daniel Staub has spent much of the second season venting her paranoia about her cast mates and New York Housewife Kelly Killoren Bensimon is now known for blurting out ridiculous, nonsensical comments at inappropriate moments. Who knows what kinds of crazy the Real Housewives of D.C. will bring!
4. A Songstress Is Born: Strangely enough, this series that revolves around the lives of "real housewives" has created more than just television reality stars -- it's also created singers. From Kim Zolciak's "Tardy for the Party" to Countess LuAnn de Lesseps' "Money Can't Buy You Class," it's only a matter of time before a D.C. Housewife shows us her pipes.
5. Cast Mate Drama: Every city in the Real Housewives series has one thing you can count on each season: Drama! Whether it's Giudice flipping a table, Orange County Housewife Gretchen Rossi giving unsolicited advice to cast mate Lynne Curtin's daughter or the end of Jill Zarin and Bethenny Frankel's friendship on the Real Housewives of New York, the drama is never-ending.
I can only imagine that the Real Housewives of D.C. will deliver, as the drama on this cast has already begun (hello, did you see The View?). I'm sure that there is much more to come and this mom looks forward to a juicy season learning the behind-the-scenes true politics of these newest Real Housewives.
Are you excited for the Real Housewives of D.C.? Chime in below!
Like This? Read These:
- New D.C. Housewife Accuses Whoopi of "Hitting" Her on The View
- Get Ready for More Real Housewives as Reality Series Heads to DC!
- Whoopi Goldberg Tells Jake Pavelka Off on The View
- Obnoxious Party Crashers! Nasty Socialites! Here Come The Real Housewives of DC