Chicago 2010

iVillage Member
Chicago 2010
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 10:56pm

Let me tell you...it was a loooooooooong trip up there and back.

We didn't get on the road until 1:30 Thursday morning. We did quite a bit of driving up there at night. We stopped in Joplin and my mom took a cat nap. From Tulsa to Joplin its about 2-3 hrs away...I think. Gas there was 2.45 a gal, which is cheaper than Tulsa!!!

We made a few sleep stops along the way. The views in Missouri were breath taking. When we went through there in 2006 I don't remember the views looking so good. We took a slightly different way and by-passed most if not all of St Louis, which was nice to get stuck in traffic, however we did get to go at a snail's pace, about 10 miles an hr in about 4 different places because of road work. I like the sign on the side of the road that said Hit a road worker, $10,000 fine and 14 yrs in jail. Och! They do road work in the summer time since they have longer, colder and harsher winters than we do in Okla, where the road work seems to last for yrs here since we have mild winters compared to other places around the US in the winter time, and they have a limited amount of summer time.

We got to Wheeling around 7:30/8 Thursday night. The MAGIC convention aka health convention, was held in Wheeling, about an hr or so out of Chicago. We stayed at the Westin Hotel, and it was beautiful. We got a dicounted rate of $100 a night, because without the dicount its $300!!! The view was pretty good. It was an awsome view when they had a thunder strom and you could see the lightening. It was truly beautiful. My camera has video and I taped it, however, I don't know how to retreve it.

Since we had missed going out to eat with everyone because we got there kinda late, we got to eat pizza up in one of the suites with a few people at the convention, which turned out they were the creaters of the foundation, which was pretty cool, and so was the pizza too. Their room was on the 15th floor. It was dark so I didnt' get to look at the views, but out one window you could see lightening and the other window was plain and no stroms on that side.

Friday we were in conferses all day, with 2 short breaks, which was nice. On the first break I got a hot chocolate and the second break was lunch, which the grilled turkey wrap was actually quite good. Then that night was get together with everyone there at the MAGIC foundation...more like a fun party. I made some new friends there and then after the party we went to Tramonto's Steak & Seafood and I had cheese cake and a cosmo, which was really good!! The cheese cake was out of this world wonderful. Friday night was really good.

Saturday we got to do our own thing. We were going to go to downtown to Michigan Ave., but some of the streets were flooded from all the rain they had gotten lately, but we did get to look around some at the different towns around the area. Saturday we went out to eat at Buca di Beppo, an Italain place that was pretty good. We had a fun time. Everyone from our group went, well the ones that didn't go to Navy Pier went out to eat there. When the ones from the Pier got back some of use went to the bar at Tramonto's Steak & Seafood and had some drinks. We had a blast.

Sunday night my mom and I spent the night in Rochelle at Super 8. Let me tell ya, there's a HUGE difference between the Westin and Super 8!! LOL!!!!

Monday we went into Chicago and we had fun!!! We had somewhat of a hard time finding parking that didn't cost an arm and a leg. We gave a man a jump for his car and in return he gave us $10!!! We didn't ask for it, but it did come inhandy though. We parked for free at an Office Depot and then walked about 5 or 6 blocks to Michigan Ave. We got coffee at Starbucks and then we looked around at Nordstrom. I got some MAC eyeshadow there and then my mom tried on some clothes and then as we were walking to Border's, a guy on the street offered to do a sketch of me, and got me down to paying him $15 to do my eyes, so I said yes. He did pretty good. Then we went to Crate and Barrel. We got some drinking glasses and some small plates. I got a book mark and a few other things at Border's and then we got a double cone ice cream at Ghirardeli. It was really good. We stared to eat at the Bistro 110, but it looked like there was too long of a wait so we decided to call it a night and went back to the van, plus Rochelle is about an hr and a half away and we had walked pretty far to get to Michigan Ave. My mom said she felt safer in Chicago than where we lived. She was afraid it was be real scary at night and it wasn't at all. A lot of people were just walking around going out to eat.

Tuesday we slept in some and then got ready to head back home. We left a different way than what we had come so we avoided all the road work, but it was still a 15 hr drive.

I can't wait to go next and we are going to try to spend a longer time next yr!!!

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_chic04
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 9:19am

Sounds nice. You had a great time. And hopefully next year you can stay longer!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 8:16pm

I'm hoping we can stay for 10 days!!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 10:25am

That would be great!