Do you always wear makeup?

Avatar for weaintgotmoney
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-11-2011
Do you always wear makeup?
6
Thu, 06-05-2014 - 1:10pm

I wear makeup when I go out or have people coming over. When I'm just home doing things around the house, I don't wear makeup. SOMETIMES I will run to walmart without makeup, but that's about it (or Lowes/Home Depot if I need something quick while working around the yard). Just curious what other people do. As I'm getting older and heading towards my 40's I've become more concerned with my face. O_o

Community Leader
Registered: 01-04-2004
Fri, 06-06-2014 - 8:19am
i'm 37. i don't wear makeup 95% of the time. the other 5% of the time i'll put on a little eyeshadow just for fun, but it irritates my contacts so it's almost not worth it. my mom and sister won't leave the house without a full face of makeup and neither of them need it, so i've tried to teach myself to see through the idea of 'needing' cosmetics; do you know what i mean? i do wear sunscreen and my skin is on the dry side so i'll put on some coconut oil before bed (but that wasn't really your question, lol). how are you becoming more concerned with your face?
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-16-2013
Fri, 06-06-2014 - 11:29am

I am much older than you and I am very concerned about my face (skin) so I wear something on it all the time. Currently I am using an Almay anti-aging foundation and I put it on after I shower each morning.

Avatar for weaintgotmoney
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-11-2011
Fri, 06-06-2014 - 1:23pm

happy.pants wrote:
i'm 37. i don't wear makeup 95% of the time. the other 5% of the time i'll put on a little eyeshadow just for fun, but it irritates my contacts so it's almost not worth it. my mom and sister won't leave the house without a full face of makeup and neither of them need it, so i've tried to teach myself to see through the idea of 'needing' cosmetics; do you know what i mean? i do wear sunscreen and my skin is on the dry side so i'll put on some coconut oil before bed (but that wasn't really your question, lol). how are you becoming more concerned with your face?

Thanks! I realized just now I didn't say how I was concerned. Duh. I'm concerned with aging. I don't think my skin is drastically aging just yet, but I see some areas that aren't behaving as they used to, such as a small spot on my neck that I feel like isn't as smooth as it used to be. 

I'm not very vigilant with facial care, but I'm also very fair so I shy away from the sun naturally. I very rarely get sunburn because of this (and past instances has taught me lessons!). When I do go in the sun I wear sunscreen (usually around 50) on top of whatever it is in my makeup. I wear a BB cream, so lightly tinted with SPF. I also either wear a mineral veil powder from Bare Escentuals or just cover girl pressed powder, just to mattify the BB Cream. I can't wear eyeshadow because it hurts my eyes. I have sensitive skin and I guess because I don't wear it regularly, when I do put it on it stings. This is any eye shadow, I've tried them all! LOL I always wear mascara when I can. Some days because it will irritate my eyes, I'll forgo it, especially when allergies are bad, but I think I look awful without it because my lashes are a lightish brown so I look sick with the pale skin and bare lashes, lol! I never wear lipstick, just a chapstick type deal, no color or very lightly tinted. Big difference from the browns I wore in HS and early 20's!

Would love any ideas on aging skin. I use Oil of Olay 7 Effects moisturizer and it's definitely my favorite. Doesn't irritate my skin. Do you use a night cream and eye cream too? Should I be using it? Honestly I'm a horrible night face washer so I don't know how often I'd use a night cream. :( 

Avatar for elc11
Community Leader
Registered: 06-16-1998
Fri, 06-06-2014 - 8:15pm

My regular makeup is pretty minimal, eyeliner and mascara and sometimes a tinted lip pencil. Like you, I don't wear makeup when I'm just around the house and not expecting company. My lashes are also very pale and scarce so I need mascara for them to be visible....but I discovered that just eyeliner at the lashline is enough to improve my looks so now I put that on if I need to run to the store. I use a brown soft pencil (from Almay) so its a natural look. 

I haven't worn foundation or powder in years, I always had trouble getting it to look natural and also my dh didn't like it. In my late 40s I got Rosacea and found that many products make it flare up. At this point, I wear a L'Oreal anti-aging eye cream (for day) or Clinique All About Eyes Rich (for night) and Clinique moisturizer every day. I wear sunscreen on my face if I'm outside gardening or exercising but after several days it causes Rosacea problems. I've never tried a BB cream or CC cream because I'm afraid of a reaction. Also I always use a neck cream of some sort, preferably with sunscreen in it. I'm 62 and I will warn you that at menopause your skin will probably start visibly losing elasticity and it will show on the neck.

Avatar for sabrtooth
iVillage Member
Registered: 12-03-1999
Fri, 06-06-2014 - 8:53pm

I used to wear makeup to take the garbage out.  20 years ago, dh finally said, it just sits ON your skin.   It's PAINT.  It does NOTHING to change what's inside.  Plus, I had a home on an acre, a full time job, a elderly mother, 2 kids, 4 dogs, yada, yada...  And I realized makeup was the LAST thing on my priority list.

If we are going somewhere VERY special, I will do my eyes, and put on a touch of blush, but that's it.  No eye creams, no night creams, no lotions, no potions, no overpriced crap with retinol that just irritates the shin, and advertises the resultant swelling as "revilatizing" the skin.  If I am going to be in the sun, I wear sunscreen.  I use emu oil on my elbows.  No one runs in horror.  My patients, friends, relatives, husband, children, and grandchildren all think I look fine.  I never smoked.  I never tanned.  The only really wrinkled skin I have is on my chest,  in the "v" of my shirts, from years of life.  Not bad for 61.

And as a result, my daughters, age 30 & 33, wear only a little eye makeup.  They are wives, mothers and fulltime employees.  They know they don't need it either.

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-16-2009
Mon, 06-09-2014 - 9:10am

Nope, nothing.. I hate the feel of the stuff on my skin. The last time I wore make-up was at my wedding.  It was professionally done for the pictures; DH hated it.

I went through a "make up"  phase when I was a teenager. But by 20, I decided it was a waste of time.  I don't even use eye shadow. All I do is use sun screen, drink lots of water and keep out of the bright sun. My hat is my best friend in the summer. That is for skin cancer, not vanity. I also do not use any of those cleasing creams or anti-aging stuff.

And, at 61, people think I am much younger than I am. My daughter is the same. The most she will use is a bit of eye shadow.