Goals for 2013?

iVillage Member
Goals for 2013?
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 11:19am

I seem to have an aversion to the word "resolution" ;) so let's talk about goals for the New Year. What would you like to accomplish? New habits, getting rid of old ones, etc.?

And if you're not part of a regular Bible study already, check out GoodMorningGirls, SheReadsTruth or SOAPStudy. :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-01-2013 - 11:14am

I have a temper issue, too, but I believe that 2012 saw me simmering down a little. I really work on not stressing about things and that does help with the anger. One thing I like to remember is that it's not a sin to be angry (since Jesus was righteously angry about the crooked business in the temple) but to lash out is taking control rather than leaving it in God's hands. While my human nature wants to be top dog, the rest of me wants to surrender to God, so I have to keep doing that in various areas, including my tendency to freak out in anger when things don't go my way.

Not saying this is your problem necessarily, but that's what I've worked out about myself. I highly recommend reading both 1000 Gifts (Ann Voskamp) and Not a Fan (Kyle Idleman). I started 2012 with those books and they really changed my perspective on my struggles to be a "good Christian."

I'm applauding your goal to read the entire Bible this year. It can be done! I finished up my 2012 goal on Dec. 30th and really felt great, not that I'd learned everything there is to know yet, but that I have a better understanding. And now I have the book Learn the Bible in 24 Hours to shed more light. (I read another chapter yesterday that covered Genesis 15-50 and was amazed at all that I hadn't seen in the story!)

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-01-2013 - 8:17am

I also do not believe in resolutions.  I never make them.  :)  But I do have things I would like to do this year.

1.  Get myself and my family eating healthier this year.  Finally reach that elusive weight goal!

2.  Get back into a gym schedule.

3. Do more bible studies with Good Morning Girls.  (Contact me if you are interested in joining the group.)

4. Read the entire Bible.  I bought a new chronological Bible to start today..woohoo

5. I want to work on keeping my temper in check.  I have been known to blow some steam on my family when I am stressing out.  :(

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 3:40pm

I don't have a sewing machine but would like to have one handy for mending and learning to sew even a few basic items. Maybe in the next house or if we set aside a little space to use one.

For the Bible study, I was thinking today of starting with Psalms and Proverbs for personal study in between the GMG and local church studies, then picking other books of the Bible when I'm done but with no deadline for the timing. Probably mostly SOAP as my go-to method along with a bit of online research added in?

I like your laughing goal. I need to add in more hugs and laughs with my kids. I think that would reduce their aggression in general and reduce the amount of fighting in particular... ;)

I read an online article that claimed critical thinking is best done in the morning and creativity blooms as the brain tires, so maybe I can work in a bit of writing/plotting at the creative times (afternoon or evening) and be productive for cleaning in the morning as I've always preferred. It may not fit every day of the week, but I could at least try it as a method for getting things done while also allowing myself the creative fun times!

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 3:32pm
Yay for the crochet and reading! Both noble pursuits! ;)

Community Leader
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 9:16am

Eat healthier...including planting a garden, raising chickens and canning

Be more active....physically and in ministry

Stay in the Word....love our Good Morning Girls studies! 

Learn to sew....have a wonderful machine and don't know how to use it. 

Look into online bible ministry studies

Laugh with my husband & children everyday! 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-30-2012 - 12:44am
crochet for charity pickups may restart knitting again...not sure crochet some gifts reading
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 11:29am

Some of my goals are the usual things and no surprise, but I'll list them here so someone else knows about them. ;)

- Edit and research my teen-fiction novel starting in January.

- Participate in other writing challenges throughout the year to keep creativity alive and kicking!

- Continue in various Bible studies, through GoodMorningGirls and also my church. Planning to use one or both of my devotional Bibles in 2013.

- Less computer time if possible, though I am using my computer and website knowledge to maintain the church's site and for tutoring those with very basic skills of their own.

- Ditch Facebook yet again? Still not sure - I like the private groups I'm a part of, but I do think my life would go on quite well if I were to get email addresses from most of those folks and then I might not find myself spending too much time on social media (Google+ included).

- More strength training and continue to walk a lot.

- Learn to knit.

- Continue using cleaning schedules and meal planning to organise household tasks, thereby reducing stress levels. :)

- Read The Hobbit, maybe re-read Harry Potter books again. And I'm sure there will be lots more reading goals to come. :)