Review #202: "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Lee Harper

iVillage Member
Review #202: "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Lee Harper
Wed, 05-22-2013 - 4:07pm

This was our RLBC book for the month.  This is the first classic that I have been able to finish on time.  Classics are not my favorite.  For me it was just okay.  I would say that it was not one of my favorite book.

Here is the information on the book from Amazon:

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unswerving honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930s. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence, and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina and quiet heroism of one man's struggle for justice—but the weight of history will only tolerate so much.

Tammy

CBSsign

iVillage Member

Thanks for your review, glad you made it through! I remember liking the book, but it's been a long time. And I would use the movie version as an excuse to see Gregory Peck in action, hee hee. (I like old movies...)