Review #335 Homegrown & Handmade

Community Leader
Review #335 Homegrown & Handmade
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 3:05pm

by Deborah Niemann

Great information. I learned quite a bit from this book!  Can't wait to put some of it in practice around the old homestead.  ;) 

From Amazon.com

Our food system is dominated by industrial agriculture and has become economically and environmentally unsustainable. The incidence of diet-related diseases, including obesity, diabetes, hypertension, cancer, and heart disease, has skyrocketed to unprecedented levels. Whether you have forty acres and a mule or a condo with a balcony, you can do more than you think to safeguard your health, your money, and the planet.

Homegrown and Handmadeshows how making things from scratch and growing at least some of your own food can help you eliminate artificial ingredients from your diet, reduce your carbon footprint, and create a more authentic life. Whether your goal is increasing your self-reliance or becoming a full-fledged homesteader, it's packed with answers and solutions to help you:

• Take control of your food supply from seed to plate
  • Raise small and medium livestock for fun, food, and fiber
  • Rediscover traditional skills to meet more of your family's needs than you ever thought possible

This comprehensive guide to food and fiber from scratch proves that attitude and knowledge is more important than acreage. Written from the perspective of a successful self-taught modern homesteader, this well illustrated, practical, and accessible manual will appeal to anyone who dreams of a simpler life.

Deborah Niemannis a homesteader, writer, and self-sufficiency expert who presents extensively on topics including soapmaking, bread baking, cheesemaking, composting, and homeschooling. She and her family raise sheep, pigs, cattle, goats, chickens, and turkeys for meat, eggs, and dairy products, while an organic garden and orchard provides fruit and vegetables.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-16-2013 - 12:17pm

Good luck with your homesteading Angie!  

This book sounds familiar to me.  Maybe skimmed through it or one like it.  I need to check it out again. I have had homesteading dreams for many years...would love to be self-sufficient from growing food to making all my clothes.  But reality has fallen short, lol.   We do have several fruit trees and berry plants and a rather large vegetable garden.  Need to expand my vegetable garden as I tend to get carried away with flower gardening every year.  :)  I've tried laundry soap making, would like to try again.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 04-17-2013 - 9:14am
Thanks Karyn! I just planted my first blueberry bushes and hope to have a vegetable garden we can expand on every year. We have 8 baby chicks and Dh is hoping to plant a few apple trees in the future. I would love to be able to one day have enough harvest to can our own food. This year we will probably buy in bulk from the Amish in our area and can that. I make my own fabric softener, but haven't attempted the laundry soap yet. Maybe one day. :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-17-2013 - 11:18am
I love blueberries and love growing them. But we have a heck of a time with the birds getting them, have tried netting but they get through! I know when the berries are ripe when I see blue bird droppings, lol. As long as they leave some for us it's ok. I use to can. Now I try to freeze all I can, it's so much easier. We have an organic strawberry farm, about 1 1/2 acres. We bought a small freezer to put them in and also make enough freezer jam to last the year and give some as gifts.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 04-17-2013 - 5:23pm
I have heard that about the birds. I am hoping they will leave some for us as well. Like you, I don't mind sharing, but would like to freeze some for smoothies and I love them in my cereal. Wow, that is an impressive strawberry farm. I LOVE strawberries. I think I am going to take the kiddos to pick some this year and give making jam a shot.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 5:45pm
We have netting over our strawberries, to keep the dog and cat out. Maybe the half-eaten berries I've noticed in the past are because of birds and not the dog as I'd thought... I did witness him walking in that area prior to the netting going in, so just assumed it was him, tsk tsk.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-18-2013 - 5:45pm
Thanks for your review, glad it was a great book! :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 11:25am
A lot of strawberry fields around here won't let kids in the fields anymore. We still do so there are always lots of little ones at ours. The freezer jam is real easy. Hope you get to make some.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 11:30am
I don't notice the birds eating our strawberries. They don't bother our blackberries either, but seem to love the blueberries. Maybe your birds are different. but it was our dog that ate some of our strawberries, Molly our Border Collie loved them, I sure miss her. :(
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:48pm
Hugs for you, Karyn. I think pets are so miss-able because they're so lovable.