Review #340 The Quilter's Apprentice

Community Leader
Review #340 The Quilter's Apprentice
Tue, 04-30-2013 - 10:23am

by Jennifer Chiaverini

Great read! Great characters! Can't wait to read the next book in the series!

From Library Journal Sarah McClure and her husband, Matt, have just moved to Waterford, PA. While Matt finds work with a landscape company, Sarah, an accountant, wants to try something new. With no leads and no offers, she is depressed and frustrated. When elderly Sylvia Compson asks Sarah to help prepare her family estate for sale, Sarah finds new friends, and Sylvia, a master craftswoman, agrees to teach Sarah how to quilt. Sarah's new relationship inspires an exchange of confidences; she learns about Sylvia's "family skeletons" while facing her own difficult relationship with her mother. Patiently piecing scraps of material, the quilters explore both women's lives, stitching details and solutions together slowly but with courage and strength. Chiaverini, a quilter herself, has pieced together a beautiful story in this first novel. Sarah and Matt are a charming couple who prove that problems really do have solutions. Women?daughters, sisters, and mothers?will enjoy it. Recommended.?Ellen R. Cohen, Rockville, MD
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-30-2013 - 3:48pm

Thanks for the review, you've definitely got me with this one! If I start complaining I have no clue what to read next, remind me of this series! :)