Review #349 Comfort

iVillage Member
Review #349 Comfort
Fri, 06-14-2013 - 7:06am

by Ann Hood.

This is beautifully written.  The author walks you through her grief. The prologue really spoke to me. My mother passed on from an antibiotic resistant bacterial infection suddenly and I asked and felt some of the things the author did.

How does one recover from the plenary grief of losing a precious five-year-old child? Novelist Hood’s answer is simple: one doesn’t. After her daughter died suddenly from an antibiotics-resistant strep infection, she just moved along with life, at first muddling through days and weeks of hearing but not comprehending the advice of well-meaning friends and family. Next, the grief began to shift from being her primary focus to second place, then into periodic episodes of overwhelming anguish. Hood’s sometimes-too-painful-to-read memoir bares all the raw emotions, from denial to despair to anger, that she experienced. The grief never really leaves, she says; it just stops eclipsing all else. Especially after she took up knitting, a pastime that occupied her mind in such a way that she couldn’t knit and grieve at the same time. Ultimately, she, her husband, and their son moved on and, it seems, finally found their way to a likeness of the happiness they once had. --Donna Chavez --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-14-2013 - 12:59pm

Thanks for your review, sounds like a definite keep-the-hanky-handy book!