Getting into the swing of 2013

iVillage Member
Getting into the swing of 2013
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 1:48pm

Hi everyone!

The year is 2013 and I'm still having issues remembering that when I'm handwriting something... and I the only one? When I'm on the computer, it's not a problem; I've a habit of glancing at the date display, but away from the computer, I'll probably still be dating things 2012 for at least another month.

How is this new year shaping up for all of you? Any news you'd like to share, upcoming events you're excited about or writings you want to show off?

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-29-2013 - 6:04pm

Hi Bren.  You are not alone when handwriting something, I just love to write now and then in the old fashioned way. I have a glass and silver inkwell mounted on a tray with two risers at the back similar to a stag's antlers, designed to take three or four different pens: it belonged to my father, one of the many trophies he won when competing in different sports during his Royal Navy career, a lovely thing.
I had a bad start to the New Year, old age does not suit me, I HATE IT!  But I guess I'm stuck with it.   Don't know what the hell has happened to my text?  It just went bold and double spaced without my consent?  

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-30-2013 - 10:39am

Hello Ray -- It's so nice to see you again! I'm not sure what may have happened with your formatting; while I see the majority of your post in bold, I don't see the double spacing you mentioned and I've checked it in every browser I have. It may have been a momentary glitch, but please let me know if it happens again.

Your inkwell sounds lovely and the fact that it once belonged to your father must make it even more treasured. I sometimes fear that handwriting has become obsolete; many of the schools are no longer teaching children cursive. As a former teacher, I do understand how computer printed assignments would help with reading and grading their efforts, but there is a beauty to a well written hand that no computer font will ever replace. *sigh*

I'm sorry that your year has gotten off to such a rough start; here's hoping that means the bad times are behind you and smooth sailing is again in sight! As for the old age, you are what you project. And I shall forever see you as the witty, debonair gentleman with a timeless poet soul, squeezing every drop of beauty, adventure and humor into life. In short, a classic, engaging and quite ageless character.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-31-2013 - 3:41am

Hey there Ray! You to having trouble with it posting anyway *it* feels like doing so...this drives me mad! I tried 3x to  edit and re-edit my poem, still didn't show how it previewed! I'd like to post more poems but can't deal with that hassle of the line placement messing up.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-01-2013 - 10:42am

Hey Char!! I'm sorry you're having problems with formatting, too. Are you composing your poetry in the text box or are you copying and pasting it from some sort of word document? I've found that notepad is handy for composing a post in the format wanted, then copying and pasting. It tends to format the way you set it up, whereas using programs like Word can sometimes carry over it's own formatting. Just a thought! Wink