4/22/03 New on Video this week.....

iVillage Member
4/22/03 New on Video this week.....
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 1:10pm
Drumline:

This drama centers around the marching show bands at predominantly black universities. The central character is a young man from Harlem named Devon (Nick Cannon) who, because of his talent as a drummer, receives a scholarship to (fictional) Atlanta A&T. There he becomes romantically involved with a pretty cheerleader named Laila (Zoë Saldana). But Devon's streetwise attitudes and individualistic showboating keep him in continual hot water, particularly with Dr. Lee (Orlando Jones), the band director, who insists on a disciplined, team approach. Finally, everything comes to a head when the A&T band must battle the crowd-pleasing band from (real-life) Morris Brown College at the BET competition. But along the way Devon grows up a little and learns some important life lessons.

Evelyn:

Pierce Brosnan, famous for playing James Bond, portrays an ordinary working-class Irishman in this drama based on a true story. In 1950s Dublin, Desmond Doyle (Brosnan) is a married man who is the father of three young children, including a daughter named Evelyn (Sophie Vavasseur). When Doyle's wife abandons the family, the government has the children sent to orphanages. Then Doyle meets a barmaid (Julianna Margulies) and tells her he wants to regain custody of his kids. Her lawyer brother (Stephen Rea) starts working Doyle's case, and he is eventually joined by other attorneys (Aidan Quinn, Alan Bates). Since Irish law requires the consent of the kids' mother, Doyle faces an uphill battle. But Doyle and his legal team set out to get the law changed, and Doyle becomes a better person along the way.

Rabbit-Proof Fence:

Set in 1931, this drama puts a human face on a shameful chapter in Australian history. As Australia was settled by people of European ancestry, white workers impregnated Aborigine women, then moved on, leaving behind thousands of half-caste children. The government came up with a scheme for dealing with the children that was intended to hasten the demise of the Aborigines as a separate race and culture, while at the same time providing a cheap source of menial labor. The film tells the tale of three such children, girls ranging in age from 8 to 14, who are taken from their mothers and relocated 1200 miles away to be trained as domestic servants. The girls escape and try to make their way home through the outback by following a transcontinental fence built to protect farmlands from rabbits.

The Transporter:

British actor Jason Statham and the good-looking Asian actress Qi Shu star in this English-language action movie that features chases, shoot-outs, and martial-arts sequences, as well as some interesting locations in France. Statham plays Frank Martin, a man who will transport anything for anybody as long as the price is right. Martin delivers a large package containing the bound and gagged Lai (Qi Shu) to the shady American known as Wall Street (Matt Schulze). Then Wall Street comes close to killing Martin, and the Transporter sets out to get revenge. Along the way, Martin falls for Lai and finds himself battling French and Asian criminals. Meanwhile, Martin must avoid being captured by law enforcement, which is led by Inspector Tarconi (François Berléand).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 10:09am
Actually those movies were out last week because I rented two of them:

Drumline was ok, nothing great.

My 18 yr old and I enjoyed Evelyn. Moving story, and P. Brosnan (who usually doesn't do a thing for me) did a good job.

This week Real Women Have Curves comes out which I highly recommend. Also Standing in the Shadows of Motown, a documentary about the Funk Brothers, the musicians who played on all the great Motown tunes. Great, great music and a moving story.

There are others but I forget what they are.....lol. But my favorite movie website, rotten tomatoes, lists them all.