New in Theaters - 3/19/10

iVillage Member
New in Theaters - 3/19/10
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 8:42am

The Bounty Hunter

Milo Boyd (Gerard Butler), a down-on-his-luck bounty hunter, gets his dream job when he is assigned to track down his bail-jumping ex-wife, reporter Nicole Hurly (Jennifer Aniston).

He thinks all that's ahead is an easy payday, but when Nicole gives him the slip so she can chase a lead on a murder cover-up, Milo realizes that nothing ever goes simply with him and Nicole.

The exes continually one-up each other – until they find themselves on the run for their lives. They thought their promise to love, honor and obey was tough – staying alive is going to be a whole lot tougher.

Starring Gerard Butler, Jennifer Aniston, Christine Baranski, Jason Sudeikis, Natalie Morales

Directed by Andy Tennant

Running Time - 1:46
Genre -
Action/Adventure
Opened in Theaters - Friday, March 19th, 2010

PG-13
sexual content including suggestive comments, language and some violence

City Island

When prison guard and New York family man, Vince Rizzo, sees a familiar name among the new convicts list, he realizes it belongs to a boy who he fathered 20 years earlier but abandoned.

Now married with a new family, Vince takes his long-lost son, Tony Nardella, home with him -- not telling his family who Tony really is. This isn't that unusual, as the Rizzo family is filled with secrets from each other.

By bringing his long-lost son into the family, and by exploring a platonic extra-marital affair with a fellow acting student, Vince comes to realize that the only way to grow and truly understand love and intimacy is to face the lies he's told about his past and bring his family and loved ones into his future.

Starring
Andy Garcia, Julianna Margulies, Steven Strait, Emily Mortimer, Alan Arkin

Directed by Raymond De Felitta

Running Time - 1:40
Genre -
Comedy

PG-13
sexual content, smoking and language

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

The adventures of a wisecracking middle school student over the course of an academic year, as told through the young man’s diary and hand-drawn cartoons.

Starring Zachary Gordon, Robert Capron, Steve Zahn, Rachael Harris, Devon Bostick

Directed by Thor Freudenthal

Running Time - 2:00
Genre -
Comedy

PG
some rude humor and language

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Forty years ago, Harriet Vanger disappeared from a family gathering on the island owned and inhabited by the powerful Vanger clan.

Her beloved uncle is convinced it was murder and that the killer is a member of his own tightly knit but dysfunctional family. He employs disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist and the tattooed and troubled but resourceful computer hacker Lisbeth Salander to investigate.

When the pair link the disappearance of Harriet to a number of grotesque murders from almost forty years ago, they begin to unravel a dark and appalling family history. The Vangers are a secretive clan, and Blomkvist and Salander are about to find out just how far they are prepared to go to protect themselves.

Starring Peter Haber, Noomi Rapace, Michael Nyqvist, David Dencik, Georgi Staykov

Directed by Niels Arden Oplev

Running Time - 2:32
Genre -
Suspense/Thriller

Not Rated

The Killing Jar

A stranger armed with a shotgun takes seven patrons hostage in a remote roadside diner. But as the body count increases, the desperate survivors discover that one of the hostages may be even more dangerous than their captor.

Starring Michael Madsen, Harold Perrineau, Amber Benson, Jake Busey, Danny Trejo, Kevin Gage

Directed by Mark Young

Genre -
Drama

Not Rated

The Lightkeepers

Set in the year 1912 on Cape Cod, a lighthouse keeper who has disavowed any association with females, must deal with the appearance of two attractive women who move into a nearby cottage for the summer.

Starring Richard Dreyfuss, Blythe Danner, Bruce Dern, Mamie Gummer, Tom Wisdom

Directed by Daniel Adams

Genre -
Comedy

PG
some mild thematic elements, brief language and smoking

The Red Baron

Europe, 1916. Baron Manfred von Richthofen (Matthias Schweighöfer) is, at the age of just 24, the crack pilot of the German aerial combat forces – a legend in his own time, a hero at home and a man both feared and respected by the enemy, including Allied Forces’ Canadian pilot, Captain Roy Brown (JOSEPH FIENNES).

Von Richthofen and his fellow officers, Lieutenants Voss (TIL SCHWEIGER), Sternberg (MAXIM MEHMET) and Lehmann (HANNO KOFFLER) see their duels in the sky as tactical, almost sportsmanlike, challenges that, at least at first, obscure their view of the horrors of the battlefields below.

The provocative red paint job of his Fokker aircraft earns him the nickname "The Red Baron" and makes him famous the world over. For millions of his countrymen, he becomes an idol, a symbol of hope and pride.

But the German high command increasingly misuses him for propaganda purposes - until the young pilot falls in love with Käte (LENA HEADLY), a beautiful and resolute nurse who opens his eyes to the fact that there is more to war than dogfights won and adversaries downed. Manfred von Richthofen finally becomes aware of his role in the propaganda machine of a senseless and barbarous war.

On another, more personal front, his ambitious and patriotic brother Lothar (VOLKER BRUCH) questions his chivalrous code of honor. But despite the heavy losses in his squadron and torn between his disgust for the war and his responsibility to his fighter wing, von Richthofen cannot stop flying. But even for this living legend, each new combat mission could be his last.

Starring Matthias Schweighöfer, Til Schweiger, Lena Heady, Joseph Fiennes, Vit Zavodsky, Hanno Kofler

Directed by Nikolai Mullerschon

Running Time - 1:46
Genre -
Action/Adventure

PG-13
war violence, some disturbing images and brief suggestive material

Repo Men

In the future, humans have extended and improved our lives through highly sophisticated and expensive mechanical organs created by a company called The Union.

The dark side of these medical breakthroughs is that if you don't pay your bill, The Union sends its highly skilled repo men to take back its property with no concern for your comfort or survival.

Jude Law plays Remy, one of the best organ repo men in the business. When he suffers a cardiac failure on the job, he awakens to find himself fitted with the company's top-of-the-line heart-replacements well as a hefty debt. But a side effect of the procedure is that his heart is no longer in the job.

When he can't make the payments, The Union sends its toughest enforcer, Remy's former partner Jake (Academy Award winner Forest Whitaker), to track him down.

Now that the hunter has become the hunted, Remy joins Beth (Alice Braga), another debtor who teaches him how to vanish from the system. And as he and Jake embark on a chase across a landscape populated by maniacal friends and foes, one man will become a reluctant champion for thousands on the run.

Starring Jude Law, Forest Whitaker, Alice Braga, Joe Pingue, Liev Schreiber, Carice van Houten

Directed by Miguel Sapochnik

Running Time - 1:51
Genre -
SciFi/Fantasy

R
strong bloody violence, grisly images, language and some sexuality/nudity

The Runaways

The music-fueled story of the ground-breaking, all girl, teenage rock band of the 1970s: The Runaways.

The film follows two friends, Joan Jett and Cherie Currie, as they rise from rebellious Southern California kids to rock stars of the now legendary group that paved the way for future generations of girl bands. Joan and Cherie fall under the Svengali-like influence of rock impresario Kim Fowley, who turns the group into an outrageous success and a family of misfits.

With its tough-chick image and raw talent, the band quickly earns a name for itself—and so do its two leads: Joan is the band’s pure rock' n' roll heart, while Cherie, with her Bowie-Bardot looks, is the sex kitten.

Starring Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning, Stella Maeve, Scout Taylor-Compton, Alia Shawkat, Michael Shannon

Directed by Floria Sigismondi

Running Time - 1:45
Genre - Drama

R
language, drug use and sexual content - all involving teens

Vincere

A portrait of Benito Mussolini (Filippo Timi), and the fiery woman who was his secret wife and the mother of his abandoned child (Giovanna Mezzogiorno).

Starring Giovanna Mezzogiorno, Filippo Timi, Corrado Invernizzi, Fausto Russo Alesi, Michela Cescon

Directed by Marco Bellocchio

Running Time - 2:08
Genre - Drama

Not Rated

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 9:39am
Bounty Hunter, Wimpy Kid, Repo Men and the Runaways all look interesting.

Photobucket

Thank you Elena for the Stunning Siggy!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 10:10am

I agree, Bounty Hunter looks like it might be fun, and Repo Men looks good too. But the only reason I'd want to see The Runaways, is to see Dakota Fanning. I can't believe she's that grown up! To me, she's still a little kid!
(Did anyone ever see the mini series, Taken? It was fantastic and so was she, even at about 6, I think she was.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

What makes you happy? Show us!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2010 - 12:03am

The only one that interests me is Repo Men (the actor who plays Sabretooth is in it, and that's the only reason I want to see it), but I will most likely wait for DVD unless we're out of date night ideas.

Jenn

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 5:27pm

Oh my, I had no idea they were making a movie out of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I love the series. I may have to at least watch the trailer.

I hope Bounty Hunter is fun.

iVillage

Carrie

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 2:02pm
I didn't know it was a series! I'll have to look for it (just what I need - more books, LOL!)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-27-2010 - 5:50pm

The books are good - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and now I'm waiting for The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

The story/mystery was difficult material, but what I love about the series is the characters. I want to know more about their life, their choices, their thinking.

iVillage

Carrie

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 9:31am
They sound good. I'll have to look for them. Thanks!

tulip A

Photobucket

Photobucket