New in Theaters - 5/21/10

iVillage Member
New in Theaters - 5/21/10
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 7:52am

After the Cup: Sons of Sakhnin United

There are over 1.4 million Arabs who are citizens of Israel, facing the challenge of living in a Jewish state while maintaining their Arabic heritage.

In Israel, soccer is king, and Bnei Sakhnin has become the first team from an Arab town to win the prestigious Israeli Cup- and represent Israel in European competition. Fielding Arab, Jewish and foreign-born players, owned by an Arab, and coached by a Jew, Bnei Sakhnin's success has begun to represent a symbol of coexistence, a potential bridge between Arabs and Jews in Israel.

The film tells the story of a soccer team that couldn't create a new Middle East, but showed the world what it could look like.

Starring Abas Suan, Mazen Ghanayem, Eyal Lachman, Waji Abboud

Directed by Alexander H. Browne, Christopher Browne

Running Time - 1:20
Genre -
Documentary
Opened in Theaters - Friday, May 21st, 2010

Not Rated

Holy Rollers

"Holy Rollers" is inspired by actual events in the late 1990s when Hasidic Jews were recruited as mules to smuggle ecstasy from Europe into the United States.

It is the story of a young Hasid from an Orthodox Brooklyn community whose neighbor propositions him to transport "medicine" for an Israeli dealer and his girlfriend. He is exposed to the exciting and gritty worlds of Manhattan and Amsterdam nightlife, and as the business grows, his double life begins to rip his family apart and the community becomes suspicious of his illegal activities.

Caught between life as a smuggler and the path back to God, he goes on the run, forced to make a fatal decision that could bring the entire operation crashing down.

Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Bartha, Danny A. Abeckaser, Ari Graynor, Jason Fuchs

Directed by Kevin Asch

Running Time - 1:40
Genre -
Drama

R
drug content and language throughout, and brief sexual material

MacGruber

Only one American hero has earned the rank of Green Beret, Navy SEAL, and Army Ranger. Just one operative has been awarded 16 purple hearts, 3 Congressional Medals of Honor and 7 presidential medals of bravery. And only one guy is man enough to still sport a mullet. In 2010, Will Forte brings Saturday Night Live’s clueless soldier of fortune to the big screen in the action comedy MacGruber.

In the 10 years since his fiancée was killed, special op MacGruber has sworn off a life of fighting crime with his bare hands. But when he learns that his country needs him to find a nuclear warhead that’s been stolen by his sworn enemy, MacGruber figures he’s the only one tough enough for the job.

Assembling an elite team of experts, MacGruber will navigate an army of assassins to hunt down his enemy and bring him to justice. His methods may be unorthodox. His crime scenes may get messy. But if you want the world saved right, you call in MacGruber.

Starring Will Forte, Kristen Wiig, Ryan Phillippe, Powers Boothe, Val Kilmer, Maya Rudolph

Directed by Jorma Taccone

Running Time - 1:28
Genre -
Comedy

R
strong crude and sexual content, violence, language and some nudity

Shrek Forever After

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 1:14am

My mom and I will most likely go see Shrek Forever After in theatres (especially if it's free!).

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 6:43am

I'll see Shrek, too, but probably not until it's on DVD.

I tend to watch new shows instead of movies, too, unless I can go to a matinee, but it seldom works out that matinees are on when new shows are on, so I don't see many movies in a theater till summer.

memorial day

Photobucket

Photobucket