New in Theaters - 5/29/09 - 6/3/09

iVillage Member
New in Theaters - 5/29/09 - 6/3/09
Thu, 05-28-2009 - 9:58pm

Departures (Okuribito)

Academy Award® Winner

"Departures" follows Daigo Kobayashi, a devote cellist in an orchestra that has just been dissolved and who is suddenly left without a job. Daigo decides to move back to his old hometown with his wife to look for work and start over. He answers a classified ad entitled "Departures" thinking it is an advertisement for a travel agency only to discover that the job is actually for a "Nokanshi" or "encoffineer," a funeral professional who prepares deceased bodies for burial and entry into the next life. While his wife and others despise the job, Daigo takes a certain pride in his work and begins to perfect the art of "Nokanshi," acting as a gentle gatekeeper between life and death, between the departed and the family of the departed. The film follows his profound and sometimes comical journey with death as he uncovers the wonder, joy and meaning of life and living.

Starring Masahiro Motoki, Tsutomu Yamazaki, Ryoko Hirosue, Kazuko Yoshiyuki, Kimiko Yo

Directed by Yojiro Takita

Running Time - 2:11
Genre -
Drama
Opening in Theaters - Friday, May 29th, 2009

PG-13
thematic material

Drag Me to Hell

Christine Brown is an ambitious L.A. loan officer with a charming boyfriend, Professor Clay Dalton. Life is good until the mysterious Mrs. Ganush arrives at the bank to beg for an extension on her home loan. Should Christine follow her instincts and give the old woman a break? Or should she deny the extension to impress her boss, Mr. Jacks, and get a leg-up on a promotion?

Christine fatefully chooses the latter, shaming Mrs. Ganush and dispossessing her of her home. In retaliation, the old woman places the powerful curse of the Lamia on Christine, transforming her life into a living hell.

Haunted by an evil spirit and misunderstood by a skeptical boyfriend, she seeks the aid of seer Rham Jas to save her soul from eternal damnation. To help the shattered Christine return her life to normal, the psychic sets her on a frantic course to reverse the spell. As evil forces close in, Christine must face the unthinkable: how far will she go to break free of the curse?

Starring Justin Long, Alison Lohman, David Paymer, Reggie Lee

Directed by Sam Raimi

Running Time - 1:39
Genre -
Horror

PG-13
sequences of horror violence, terror, disturbing images and language

Up

Carl Fredricksen spent his entire life dreaming of exploring the globe and experiencing life to its fullest. But at age 78, life seems to have passed him by, until a twist of fate (and a persistent 8-year old Wilderness Explorer named Russell) gives him a new lease on life.

Starring Ed Asner, Christopher Plummer, John Ratzenberger, Jordan Nagai

Directed by Pete Docter

Running Time - 1:36
Genre -
Animation

Also

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 10:13am

Drag Me to Hell looks like it might be good. I haven't seen a good scary movie in a long time.

Other than that, nothing strikes my fancy.

spring siggy 2

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 12:50pm
I can't wait to see Departures. It won the Oscar for best foreign picture 2009.

Sandie

Sandie

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-30-2009 - 2:28am

I agre about Drag Me to Hell.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-30-2009 - 9:34am
Yes, Up looks cute, but I'll wait for it to go to DVD, too.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 10:20pm
I want to see Up.

Carrie