New in Theaters - 6/18/10

iVillage Member
New in Theaters - 6/18/10
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 8:47am

8: The Mormon Proposition

"8: The Mormon Proposition" exposes the Mormon Church's historic involvement in the promotion and passage of California's Proposition 8 and the religion's secretive, decades-long campaign against gay rights.

The movie takes place in California and Utah as Mormons, following their prophet's call to action, wage spiritual warfare with money and misinformation against gay citizens, doing everything they can to deny them of marriage and the rights that come with it.

Starring
George Takei, Hal Sparks, Dustin Lance Black, Gavin Newsom, Darren Curtis

Directed by Reed Cowan

Running Time - 1:20
Genre -
Documentary
Opened in Theaters - Friday, June 18th, 2010

Not Rated

Jonah Hex

Jonah Hex is a scarred drifter and bounty hunter of last resort, a tough and stoic gunslinger who can track down anyone...and anything.

Having survived death, Jonah’s violent history is steeped in myth and legend, and has left him with one foot in the natural world and one on the “other side.” His only human connection is with Leila, whose life in a brothel has left her with scars of her own.

But Jonah’s past is about to catch up with him when the U.S. military makes him an offer he can’t refuse: in exchange for his freedom from the warrants on his head, he must track down and stop the dangerous terrorist Quentin Turnbull.

But Turnbull, who is gathering an army and preparing to unleash Hell, is also Jonah’s oldest enemy and will stop at nothing until Jonah is dead.

Starring
Josh Brolin, John Malkovich, Megan Fox, Michael Fassbender, Will Arnett, Michael Shannon

Directed by Jimmy Hayward

Running Time - 1:21
Genre -
Action/Adventure

PG-13
intense sequences of violence and action, disturbing images and sexual content

The Killer Inside Me

Based on the novel by legendary pulp writer Jim Thompson, "The Killer Inside Me" tells the story of handsome, charming, unassuming small-town deputy sheriff Lou Ford, who has a bunch of problems. Women problems. Law-enforcement problems. And an ever-growing pile of murder victims in his west Texas jurisdiction.

All the while Lou manages to remain his stoic self. However, as evidence is discovered over the course of the investigation, suspicion begins to fall on Lou. But in this savage and bleak universe, nothing is ever what it seems.

Starring Casey Affleck, Jessica Alba, Kate Hudson, Simon Baker, Elias Koteas

Directed by Michael Winterbottom

Running Time - 1:50
Genre -
Drama

R
disturbing brutal violence, aberrant sexual content and some graphic nudity

The Nature of Existence

Why are we here, and what are we supposed to do about it? What started the Universe, and was it a mistake? Does God exist, and why does he seem so interested in our sex lives? After exploring the phenomenon of TREKKIES, filmmaker Roger Nygard takes on The Nature of Existence. As he roams the globe to the source of each of the world's philosophies, religions, and belief systems, Nygard interviews spiritual leaders, scholars, scientists, artists, pizza chefs, and others who have influenced, inspired, or freaked out humanity.

Directed by Roger Nygard

Running Time - 1:34
Genre -
Documentary

Not Rated

Toy Story 3

The creators of the beloved "Toy Story" films re-open the toy box and bring moviegoers back to the delightful world of our favorite gang of toy characters in Toy Story 3.

As Andy prepares to depart for college, Buzz, Woody and the rest of his loyal toys are troubled about their uncertain future. Toy Story 3 is a comical new adventure that lands the toys in a room full untamed tots who can't wait to get their sticky little fingers on these "new" toys. It's pandemonium as they try to stay together, ensuring "no toy gets left behind." Meanwhile, Barbie comes face to plastic face with Ken (yes, that Ken).

Starring Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Don Rickles, Wallace Shawn, Estelle Harris, John Ratzenberger, Ned Beatty

Directed by Lee Unkrich

Running Time - 1:26
Genre -
Animation

G

Also in

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 9:16am

The only one I've heard of Toy Story 3 and it's the only one I'll see.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 9:32am
sigh, none of those sounded remotely interesting to me.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 10:38am

I would like to see Toy Story 3 and Jonah Hex.

I'll wait for DVD for Jonah... we're going to see Toy Story 3 once it hits the base theater. (since movies are $1 there)