New in Theaters - 7/7/09

iVillage Member
New in Theaters - 7/7/09
Fri, 08-07-2009 - 11:28am

Beeswax

Centers on charismatic twin sisters who live together: free-spirited Lauren, considering the opportunity to teach English abroad, and paraplegic Jeannie, co-owner of a local vintage store who has constant problems with her business partner.

Starring Tilly Hatcher, Maggie Hatcher, Alex Karpovsky, Katy O'Connor, David Zellner

Directed by Andrew Bujalski

Running Time - 1:40
Genre -
Drama
Opened in Theaters - Friday, August 7th, 2009

Not Rated

Cold Souls

Is your soul weighing you down? Paul Giamatti has found a solution! In the surreal comedy COLD SOULS, Paul Giamatti plays an actor named… Paul Giamatti.

Stumbling upon an article in The New Yorker about a high-tech company that extracts, deep-freezes and stores people’s souls, Paul very well might have found the key to happiness for which he’s been searching.

But, complications arise when he is the unfortunate victim of "soul-trafficking." Giamatti’s journey takes him all the way to Russia in hopes of retrieving his stolen soul from an ambitious but talentless soap-opera actress.

Starring Paul Giamatti, Dina Korzun, Emily Watson, David Strathairn, Lauren Ambrose

Directed by Sophie Barthes

Running Time - 1:37
Genre -
Comedy

PG-13
nudity and brief strong language

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

From the Egyptian desert to deep below the polar ice caps, the elite G.I. Joe team uses the latest in next-generation spy and military equipment to fight the corrupt arms dealer Destro and the growing threat of the mysterious Cobra organization to prevent them from plunging the world into chaos.

Starring Channing Tatum, Dennis Quaid, Dwayne Johnson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Brendan Fraser, Rachel Nichols, Sienna Miller, Ray Park, Jonathan Pryce, Christopher Eccleston, Arnold Vosloo, Marlon Wayans, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje

Directed by Stephen Sommers

Running Time - 1:58
Genre -
Action/Adventure

PG-13
strong sequences of action violence and mayhem throughout

Julie & Julia

Based on two true stories, Julie & Julia intertwines the lives of two women, Julia Child (Meryl Streep) and Julie Powell (Amy Adams), who, though separated by time and space, are both at loose ends...until they discover that with the right combination of passion, fearlessness and butter, anything is possible.

Starring Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Stanley Tucci, Chris Messina, Linda Emond, Jane Lynch

Directed by Nora Ephron

Running Time - 2:03
Genre -
Comedy

PG-13
brief strong language and some sensuality

Paper Heart

Charlyne Yi does not believe in love. Or so she says. Well, at the very least, she doesn't believe in fairy-tale love or the Hollywood mythology of love, and her own experiences have turned her into yet another modern-day skeptic.

"Paper Heart" follows Charlyne as she embarks on a quest across America to make a documentary about the one subject she doesn't fully understand. As she and her good friend (and director) Nicholas search for answers and advice about love, Charlyne talks with friends and strangers, scientists, bikers, romance novelists, and children.

They each offer diverse views on modern romance, as well as various answers to the age-old question: does true love really exist?

Then, shortly after filming begins, Charlyne meets a boy after her own heart: Michael Cera. As their relationship develops on camera, her pursuit to discover the nature of love takes on a fresh new urgency. Charlyne risks losing the person she finds closest to her heart.

Starring Charlyne Yi, Michael Cera, Jake Johnson, Seth Rogen

Directed by Nicholas Jasenovec

Running Time - 1:29
Genre -
Documentary
Opened in Theaters - In NY/LA on August 7, 2009 and expanding on August 14

PG-13
some language

A Perfect Getaway

Cliff and Cydney (Steve Zahn and Milla Jovovich) are an adventurous young couple celebrating their honeymoon by backpacking to one of the most beautiful, and remote, beaches in Hawaii.

Hiking the wild, secluded trails, they believe they've found paradise. But when the pair comes across a group of frightened hikers discussing the horrifying murder of another newlywed couple on the islands, they begin to question whether they should turn back.

Unsure whether to stay or flee, Cliff and Cydney join up with two other couples, and things begin to go terrifyingly wrong. Far from civilization or rescue, everyone begins to look like a threat and nobody knows whom to trust. Paradise becomes hell on earth as a brutal battle for survival begins...

Starring Milla Jovovich, Timothy Olyphant, Marley Shelton, Steve Zahn, Kiele Sanchez

Directed by David Twohy

Running Time - 1:38
Genre -
Suspense/Thriller

R
graphic violence, language including sexual references and some drug use

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-07-2009 - 1:09pm

I've only heard of 2 of these: GI Joe, which I'll rent because it doesn't look that good, and Julie&Julia which I'll just avoid (not my kind of movie at all).

Jenn

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-07-2009 - 1:59pm
Dh wants to see GI Joe... I'll wait for video.
I think Julie & Julia looks cute. Perfect Getaway looks interesting as does Paper Heart. I'll likely wait for video for all of them though.