New in Theaters - 9/10/10 - 9/15/10

iVillage Member
New in Theaters - 9/10/10 - 9/15/10
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 8:45pm

The Afterlight

A young couple moves into an old schoolhouse on a desolate stretch of farm country. Hoping for a new beginning, their lives are instead drawn toward dark and unforeseen ends.

Starring Michael Kelly, Jicky Schnee, Ana Asensio, Rip Torn, Morgan Taddeo

Directed by Alexei Kaleina, Craig Macneill

Running Time - 1:27
Genre - Drama
Opening in Theaters - Friday, September 10th, 2010

Not Rated

Expecting Mary

The story of pregnant young Mary, who's had all the trappings of an upscale life, but it's only when she finds herself in a small New Mexico town, in a down-trodden trailer park, that she learns the real meaning of love, sacrifice and family.

Starring Elliott Gould, Linda Gray, Lainie Kazan, Cloris Leachman, Della Reese, Olesya Rulin

Directed by Dan Gordon

Running Time - 1:37
Genre -
Family

PG
thematic elements involving teen pregnancy, and some language

Heartbreaker (L'arnacoeur)

Daniel is a professional home-wrecker and his sister and brother-in-law are partners in this lucrative activity which nonetheless has one golden rule: Daniel only agrees to get involved with women who are unhappily married. A father who hates his future son-in-law hires Daniel one week before the marriage he wants to prevent. In need of money, the heartbreaker agrees to abandon his "code of ethics" and seduce a young woman who is completely fulfilled in her relationship--and he ends up being the one seduced.

Starring Vanessa Paradis, Romain Duris, Andrew Lincoln, François Damiens, Héléna Noguerra

Directed by Pascal Chaumeil

Running Time - 1:45
Genre -
Comedy

Not Rated

I'm Still Here

A striking portrayal of a tumultuous year in the life of internationally acclaimed actor Joaquin Phoenix.

With remarkable access, I’M STILL HERE follows the Oscar-nominee as he announces his retirement from a successful film career in the fall of 2008 and sets off to reinvent himself as a hip hop musician.

Starring Joaquin Phoenix

Directed by Casey Affleck

Running Time - 1:48
Genre -
Documentary

Not Rated

Legendary

Ten years after the death of his father, 15-year-old boy with no natural athletic prowess joins his high school wrestling team in order to repair his mother and older brother's estranged relationship.

Starring Patricia Clarkson, Danny Glover, John Cena, Madeleine Martin, Tyler Posey

Directed by Mel Damski

Running Time - 1:47
Genre -
Drama

PG-13
suggestive material, brief partial nudity and some fighting scenes

Logan

13-year-old Logan Hoffman wants to make a movie and realizes it's harder than he thinks. When friends at school reject him and his family doesn't care, he turns to his last hope - his older brother Tyler.

After a tragic mishap, Tyler is challenged to do whatever it takes to see his younger brother's project succeed as Tyler realizes what's really important in life.

Starring Leo Howard, Patrick Probst, BooBoo Stewart, Abigail Isom, Nicole Cummins

Directed by Kyle Lawrence, Caleb Doyle

Running Time - 1:40
Genre -
Comedy

Not Rated

Resident Evil: Afterlife

In a world ravaged by a virus infection, turning its victims into the Undead, Alice continues on her journey to find survivors and lead them to safety. Her deadly battle with the Umbrella Corporation reaches new heights, but Alice gets some unexpected help from an old friend. A new lead that promises a safe haven from the Undead takes them to Los Angeles, but when they arrive the city is overrun by thousands of Undead - and Alice and her comrades are about to step into a deadly trap.

Starring Milla Jovovich, Wentworth Miller, Ali Larter, Kim Coates, Spencer Locke

Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson

Running Time - 1:40
Genre -
Action/Adventure

R
sequences of strong violence and language

Also showing in 3D and IMAX 3D

The Romantics

Over the course of one raucous night at a seaside wedding eight close friends, all members of a tight, eclectic college clique, reconvene to watch two of their own tie the knot. Laura is maid of honor to Lila, her golden girl best friend. The two have long rivaled over the groom, Tom.

Friendships and alliances are tested and the love triangle comes to a head the night before the wedding, when the drunken friends frolic in the nearby surf and return to shore... without the groom.

Starring Katie Holmes, Josh Duhamel, Anna Paquin, Elijah Wood, Malin Akerman

Directed by Galt Niederhoffer

Running Time - 1:35
Genre -
Comedy

PG-13
sexual content, partial nudity, language and some drug material

Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him?)

This feature documentary focuses on the brilliant, but eccentric, late singer-songwriter Harry Nilsson. The Beatles once proclaimed Nilsson as "their favorite group," and he was on top of the world in the early '70s, courted by the elite of popular music and film. (He became best friends with the Beatles and Ringo was his best man.)

He was riding the crest of a remarkable wave of success. Yet, in just a few short years, his glorious voice would be in tatters, his health ruined and he would be without a record contract.

Starring Gerry Beckley, Lee Blackman, Perry Botkin Jr., Ray Cooper, Micky Dolenz

Directed by John Scheinfeld

Running Time - 1:56
Genre -
Documentary

Not Rated

Kings of Pastry

Imagine a scene never before witnessed: Sixteen French pastry chefs gathered in Lyon for three intense days of mixing, piping and sculpting everything from delicate chocolates to six-foot sugar sculptures in hopes of being declared by President Nicolas Sarkozy one of the best.

This is the prestigious Meilleurs Ouvriers de France competition (Best Craftsmen in France).

The blue, white and red striped collar worn on the jackets of the winners is more than the ultimate recognition for every pastry chef – it is a dream and an obsession.

The film follows chef Jacquy Pfeiffer, co-founder of Chicago’s French Pastry School, as he journeys back to his childhood home of Alsace to practice for the contest.

Starring Sebastien Canonne, Jacquy Pfeiffer, Rachel Beaudry, Philippe Rigollot, Stephane Glacier

Directed by Chris Hegedus, Donn Alan Pennebaker

Running Time - 1:24
Genre -
Documentary
Opening in Theaters - Wednesday, September 15th, 2010

Not Rated

Never Let Me Go

A love story, adapted from Kazuo Ishiguro's bestselling, Booker Prize short listed novel of the same name. Kathy, Tommy and Ruth live in a world and a time that feel familiar to us, but they are not quite like anything we know.

They spend their childhood at Hailsham, a seemingly idyllic English boarding school. When they leave the shelter of the school and the terrible truth of their fate is revealed to them, they must also confront the deep feelings of love, jealousy and betrayal that threaten to pull them apart.

Starring Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, Keira Knightley, Charlotte Rampling, Sally Hawkins

Directed by Mark Romanek

Running Time - 1:44
Genre -
Drama
Opening in Theaters - Wednesday, September 15th, 2010

R
some sexuality and nudity

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 8:00am
Yeah, I kind of scratched my head about the synopsis of "I'm Still Here".

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 10:54pm

Expecting has an incredible cast, but I'm not that
interested.

Logan looks like the best of these, but I'll wait for
the dvd.

font-size: 14pt;">Susan

Photobucket

Photobucket

dietbudspowinners.gif

PhotobucketlifeispainPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

font-size: 12pt;">

organic tag created by Erin

(Wickedcupofjoe)
PhotobucketPhotobucketinvisible-yellow-cap

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 9:43pm
I agree. 3D makes me queasy, too. I'll stick to 2D, also.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 1:58am

I am a huge fan of Resident Evil, so I will definitely see this movie in theatres, but not in 3D.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 10:28am

I want to see Resident Evil Afterlife.

Anyone else go... "Uh....Hrmmmm" to I'm Still Here?

A hip hop musician? He looks like he's gunning to be the 4th Member of ZZ Top. :oP

Photobucket

Photobucket