New in theaters - 9/18/09

iVillage Member
New in theaters - 9/18/09
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 8:43am

Bright Star

London 1818: a secret love affair begins between 23 year old English poet, John Keats, and the girl next door, Fanny Brawne, an outspoken student of fashion.

This unlikely pair started at odds; he thinking her a stylish minx, she unimpressed by literature in general. It was the illness of Keats' younger brother that drew them together.

Keats was touched by Fanny's efforts to help and agreed to teach her poetry. By the time Fanny's alarmed mother and Keats's best friend Brown realized their attachment, the relationship had an unstoppable momentum.

Intensely and helplessly absorbed in each other, the young lovers were swept into powerful new sensations, "I have the feeling as if I were dissolving", Keats wrote to her. Together they rode a wave of romantic obsession that deepened as their troubles mounted. Only Keats's illness proved insurmountable.

Starring Ben Whishaw, Abbie Cornish, Paul Schneider, Thomas Sangster, Kerry Fox

Directed by Jane Campion

Running Time - 1:59
Genre -
Drama
Opened in Theaters - Friday, September 18th, 2009

PG
thematic elements, some sensuality, brief language and incidental smoking

The Burning Plain

A drama that explores the mysterious connection between several characters separated by time and space -- Mariana, a 16-year-old girl trying to put together the shattered lives of her parents in a Mexican border town; Sylvia, a woman in Portland who must undertake an emotional odyssey to burnish a sin from her past. Gina and Nick, a couple who must deal with an intense and clandestine affair; and Maria, a young girl who helps her parents find redemption, forgiveness and love.

Starring Charlize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence, Kim Basinger, Joaquim de Almeida, Tessa Ia, John Corbett, Robin Tunney

Directed by Guillermo Arriaga

Running Time - 1:51
Genre -
Drama

R
sexuality, nudity and language

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

Bill Hader, star of “Saturday Night Live” and Night of the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, will voice Flint Lockwood, a young inventor who dreams of creating something that will improve everyone's life. Anna Faris, who recently turned heads as the star of the comedy hit The House Bunny, takes on the role of Sam Sparks, a weathergirl covering the phenomenon who hides her intelligence behind a perky exterior. James Caan plays Tim Lockwood, Flint's technophobic father. Andy Samberg plays Brent, the town bully who has plagued Flint since childhood. Bruce Campbell plays Mayor Shelbourne, who figures out that Flint's invention can put the town, and more importantly himself, on the map and Mr. T plays the by-the-rules town cop Earl Devereaux.

Starring Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan, Mr. T, Andy Samberg, Bruce Campbell

Directed by Christopher Miller, Phil Lord

Running Time - 1:21
Genre -
Animation

Also in 3D and The IMAX 3D Experience

PG
brief mild language

Disgrace

Set in Cape Town, a twice-divorced literature professor retreats to his daughter's farm after having an impulsive affair with a student.

Starring Scott Cooper, Eriq Ebouaney, Jessica Haines, John Malkovich, Fiona Press

Directed by Steve Jacobs

Running Time - 2:00
Genre -
Drama

Not Rated

The Informant!

What was Mark Whitacre thinking? A rising star at agri-industry giant Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), Whitacre suddenly turns whistleblower. Even as he exposes his company's multi-national price-fixing conspiracy to the FBI, Whitacre envisions himself being hailed as a hero of the common man and handed a promotion.

But before all that can happen, the FBI needs evidence, so Whitacre eagerly agrees to wear a wire and carry a hidden tape recorder in his briefcase, imagining himself as a kind of de facto secret agent. Unfortunately for the FBI, their lead witness hasn't been quite so forthcoming about helping himself to the corporate coffers. Whitacre's ever-changing account frustrates the agents and threatens the case against ADM as it becomes almost impossible to decipher what is real and what is the product of Whitacre's rambling imagination.

Based on the true story of the highest-ranking corporate whistleblower in U.S. history.

Starring Matt Damon, Scott Bakula, Joel McHale, Melanie Lynskey, Tony Hale

Directed by Steven Soderbergh

Running Time - 1:48
Genre -
Comedy

R
language

Jennifer's Body

Jennifer, a cheerleader possessed by a demon, begins feeding off the boys in a Minnesota farming town.

It is then up to her "plain Jane" best friend Needy to kill Jennifer, escape from a correctional facility and go after lead singer Nikolai and his Satan-worshiping rock band who are responsible for the transformation.

Starring Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried, Johnny Simmons, Adam Brody, J.K. Simmons

Directed by Karyn Kusama

Running Time - 1:42
Genre -
Comedy

R
sexuality, bloody violence, language and brief drug use

Love Happens

When a self-help author arrives in Seattle to teach a sold-out seminar, he unexpectedly meets the one person who might finally be able to help him help himself.

Dr. Burke Ryan (Eckhart) is on the precipice of a major multimedia deal, but the therapist who asks his patients to openly confront their pain is secretly unable to take his own advice.

Eloise Chandler (Aniston) has sworn off men and decided to focus on her floral business. However, when she meets Burke at the hotel where he's speaking, there is an instant attraction. But will two people who have met the right person at exactly the wrong time be able to give love another chance?

As each struggles with the hurt of love and loss, they realize that in order to move forward, they need to let go of the past. And if they can, they'll find that, sometimes, love happens when you least expect it.

Starring Jennifer Aniston, Aaron Eckhart, Martin Sheen, Sasha Alexander

Directed by Brandon Camp

Running Time - 1:49
Genre -
Drama

PG-13
some language including sexual references

Paris

While waiting for a heart transplant that could save his life, Pierre (Duris) grows close again with his sister (Binoche) and her lively children.

This rediscovery of his family and observation of the teeming streets outside his window give Pierre a new, hopeful sense of how he might spend the time still left to him.

A cinematic love letter to the city that seems to hide a story behind every shop window, small alley, street market or grand apartment building, the film explores the life and love possible only in Paris.

Starring Xavier Robic, Juliette Binoche, Romain Duris, François Cluzet, Fabrice Luchini

Directed by Cédric Klapisch

Running Time - 2:10
Genre -
Drama

R
language and some sexual references

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 11:55am
I want to see The Informant and Love Happens. I've seen previews for The Informant and it looks really funny. And I like Jennifer Aniston, and sappy love stories, lol.

Click and go to Movies!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 6:03pm
I've never heard of several of these. Burning Plain, Disgrace, and Paris all sound good to me.

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 7:17pm
I want to see Cloudy with a chance of meatballs and Love Happens.

Photobucket
PhotobucketAll Girls Car Seats
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-20-2009 - 10:40am
me 2 same ones Ann!
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 2:07pm
I want to see Bright Star and Love Happens.

Carrie

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 7:05pm
I want to see The Informant. I might want to see Bright Star and Love Happens.

Carrie

Carrie
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-23-2009 - 11:02am
Dang, I didn't realized that Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs had started! The girls and I sat home bored all weekend, when we could have gone to see it! They both read the book when they were littler and want to see it.
As for me, I'd like to see Bright Star and Jennifer's Body!!!!

Mich

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 5:42pm
I want to see Bright Star and Love Happens when they come out on DVD.

Photobucket