New in Theaters - Week of 9/17/04

iVillage Member
New in Theaters - Week of 9/17/04
Fri, 09-17-2004 - 8:46am
Mr. 3000

PG-13 for sexual content and language

An arrogant and jaded baseball star--who is revered by many, but liked by few--retires from the sport as soon as he achieves his 3,000th base hit. His goal was to earn his place within the elite group of players who have achieved that distinction, and he did it--or so he thought. Now, however, after three of those hits have been disqualified, the Hall of Famer is forced to return to the game and play once again for his former team, the Milwaukee Brewers, in order to re-set his now tarnished record and earn those three hits. Along the way, he discovers that the experience renews his love for the sport, and reminds him what it was like at the very beginning of his career, as he finds himself imparting some of this knowledge to an enthusiastic, young rookie whom he mentors.

Starring Bernie Mac, Earl Billings, Angela Bassett, Paul Sorvino, Neil Brown Jr.

Genre - Comedy

National Lampoon's Gold Diggers

PG-13 for crude and sexual humor, and some drug related material

Two gold-digging twenty-somethings scheme to marry two aging sisters with hopes of collecting their Beverly Hills estates.

Starring Will Friedle, Chris Owen, Nikki Schieler Ziering, Louise Lasser, Renee Taylor

Genre - Comedy

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism

NR

This documentary examines how media empires, led by Rupert Murdoch's Fox News, have been running a "race to the bottom" in television news. Media experts, including Walter Cronkite, Jeff Cohen, Bob McChesney, Phellie Pingree, Jeff Chester provide context and guidance for the story of Fox News and its effect on society.

Starring Douglas Cheek

Genre - Documentary

Silver City

R for language

A scathing look at current-day politics and how the inept win by landslides and businesses and elections are tightly coupled. Colorado governor candidate Dicky Pilager becomes involved in a complex web of influence and corruption when a dead body shows up during an ad shoot.

Starring Chris Cooper, Kris Kristofferson, Danny Huston, Daryl Hannah, Maria Bello, Thora Birch, Richard Dreyfuss, Billy Zane, Miguel Ferrer

Genre - Drama

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

PG for sequences of stylized sci-fi violence and brief mild language

Set in 1939 New York, a reporter notices that the world's scientists are disappearing. She and a pilot track down a mad scientist to foil his plot to take over the world.

Starring Jude Law, Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Giovanni Ribisi

Genre - SciFi

Wimbledon

PG-13 for language, sexuality, and partial nudity

A tennis player who has fallen to a rank of 157th in the tennis circuit has lost his desire to play, until he meets a young ambitious player on the women's circuit who helps him regain his focus during his last tournament.

Starring Kirsten Dunst, Paul Bettany, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Austin Nichols

Genre - Comedy

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2004 - 1:17pm
Gee, I'm not sure that I want to say any of those?!?!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2004 - 5:22pm
I agree, I think I'll see a couple that have been out a week or so - Cellular and Vanity Fair.

Leader of:
Movies!

Coffee Break
Consumer Retorts

Co-leader of:
Woman to Woman

Visit my Website

Photobucket