Downton Abbey Finale -- What a shocker!

iVillage Member
Downton Abbey Finale -- What a shocker!
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 10:09am

OMG... I just watched the season finale of Downton Abbey last night. Here I was, enjoying the joy on Matthew and Mary's faces as they welcomed their wee little one. Then the horrific ending... I seriously sat there for two minutes in shock, then started crying!

Whew... this season has really had way more than it's share of drama. Poor Edith; the triangle she's caught up in right now is so tragic. Do you think she'll every find happiness, or will it always be just slipping through her fingertips?

Community Leader
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 12:08pm
He could always seek a divorce, although it sounds like his own ethics won't allow him to go that route.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 7:34pm

Edith, don't get pregnant!!!

Clearly, there's something terrible about giving birth at Downton Abbey or at the hospital there!

I could have wished the way at least my local PBS station aired the show differently. I would have preferred one hour a week, over eight weeks, rather than two hours a Sunday, over four weeks.  

Edith deserves happiness, but I can't see a way she can get it, without offing his wife.

Julia

Community Leader
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 12:05pm
I know, I can't believe we have a whole 9 months or so before we get to see a new season!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-20-2013 - 10:45am

I could see the pregnancy making Mary snippy... I think Matthew assumed that, too, since he so gently tried to steer her into a better humor. I really do think Edith deserves some happiness; kind of ironic that she's even considering becoming his mistress, given how judgemental she came off in the first season. But that's the thing about life -- as we grow older, we realize things are never totally black or white; those little gray areas are everywhere.

I do feel for Thomas; he was so easy to dislike in the first two seasons, but his character is getting some depth now... again, those shades of gray. I think he's really so very lonely, not for a physical relationship so much as just someone he doesn't have to pretend with... know what I mean? If Jimmy can stop focusing on the hog wash about people assuming he's gay if he hangs with Thomas, he may actually become that friend. Time will tell... I just hate having to wait so long for it to tell us! LOL

Community Leader
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 11:52am
I'm blaming Mary's attitude on her pregnancy! She was quite critical, I just hope that Edith can finally have a chance at a happy ending though. Interested to see them throw out the idea of becoming his mistress. Does anyone think that Jimmy and Thomas can just be friends?

Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 11:50am
I had heard a rumor that there was a shocking ending, so I did some investigating beforehand so I wouldn't be surprised. Even knowing how it would end, still shocked by the images. That scene between Matthew and Mary with the baby about had me in tears, so beautiful. I was glad to see that Rose seems to have redeeming qualities, I was a bit worried about the addition of her character from the previews. Now I'm glad that she'll be in next season more.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 11:23am

I have not seen it yet but have heard it is quite the shocker. I am still trying to get over Sybil dying so I hope it isn't that bad. I am glad to hear by the sounds of your post that Mary and Mathew have had a baby.

Brenda

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 10:19am

I know... it was a dreadfully tragic ending and I never saw it coming!

Was it just because I got so into the darn drama this season or did it seem incredibly short? *sigh* I just don't know how I'm going to wait nearly a year before more is revealed!

Poor Edith indeed! Mary was so darn snippy, nit-picking about Michael Gregson and she doesn't even know the whole story yet. I do hope they can actually set aside their petty differences and build a real relationship; I think they'll really need each other's support next season!