iVillage Member
True Blood - 6.21.09
Mon, 06-22-2009 - 11:11am

Um, seriously?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 9:05pm

Here's what I found on another message board:

The wheel is, of course, located beneath Fangtasia. Previous to it's becoming a bar, the location was an industrial metals factory with a labyrinth of sub-tunnels and smelting chambers. (Charlaine Harris, 4.22.07, HBO Insider)

The Wheel's original purpose was simply to perform as part of a larger machine in the manufacture of metal parts for use in the weapons industry. The Vamps left most of the lower-level machinery intact and razed everything on the surface for the Bar.

The use of the wheel as a storage place for prisoners was most basic. It happens to be directly located at the bottom of the stairway with easy access to the interrogation room directly up the stairs.

It rotates, obviously, which serves a twofold purpose.

One: It allows the prisoners to rotate turns at the Waste Bucket (even Vamps don't want the basement filled with filth).

Two: The prisoners MUST send the wheel through 20 rotations per hour or "lose a finger" (the woman in the dress is missing TWO fingers, which are physically ripped off). This keeps them somewhat active and more alert for the upcoming interrogations.

The wheel is connected, through a series of axles going up, all the way to a spot next to the cash register at the bar. There is a small (3" tall) ballerina figure there which is connected to a counter which monitors the "20 rotation per hour" minimum. If the criteria is not met, a tiny red LED light next to the figure lights up (and a Vampire will go below to remove some fingers).

If you look closely in Season One, during the initial LongShadow scene with Jason. You can see the tiny ballerina slowly rotating in the background. Now you know that the rotation is caused by tortured victims screaming in the damp darkness far below the bar.

Sources:

Charlaine Harris Interview, Publishers Weekly, 3.25.06

Alan Ball Interview, Cable Insider, 2.5.09

Nelsan Ellis Interview, BET Magazine, 5.24.09

PhotobucketLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

proud herbivore

Photobucket

Photobucket

Don't do nothing because you can't do everything. Do Something. Anything.
~Colleen Patrick-Goudreau~

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 9:45pm

Meridith, Meridith, Meridith...

You, my friend, ARE BRILLIANT!!! =) but we knew that!!!

I'm a little upset you are cheating on us at another board though! =)~

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 9:51pm
I know, I know......please forgive me. I promise to NEVER NEVER NEVER go back. :o)

PhotobucketLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

proud herbivore

Photobucket

Photobucket

Don't do nothing because you can't do everything. Do Something. Anything.
~Colleen Patrick-Goudreau~

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 10:53pm
My Lawd! And to think that wasn't even in any of her books. Where do they come up with this stuff??

<
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-24-2009 - 9:25am

That whole wheel thing is crazy!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-24-2009 - 6:37pm
Of course I forgive you and if you keep getting that quality of info I might even encourage it!!! :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 4:05pm

I'm finally throwing in my cents ... better late than never! I bought and watched all of Season 1 in less than a week lol! After having read ALL of the books! I became addicted rather quickly! I watched S2 epi's back to back, I was waiting to see if my DH was going to change his mind about watching with me, he was back and forth, and finally I said screw him and watched the beginning of S2! lol

I was a little disappointed at first, it didn't seem to be meshing well with the book - but after last sunday I'm much more satisified! I HATE where they are taking Jason's character .. someone else mentioned that as well. I'm hoping, since they keep doing flashbacks of him with the other vamp he was draining, that he will change his mind about the FOTS.

I loved Lafayette's char and really hope they keep him around. I was never that attached to him in the books, but man did they bring him to life in the show!!

The maenad story line was a little weird at first, and even weirder yet last week when they flashbacked to her and Sam as a teenager! I see how they may set up to have her attack Sookie though, because Sookie asked Tara to move in with her, it seemed to upset Mary Ann. That's my thought anyway! Oh and someone else mentioned in another post about the book story line with her ... a friend of mine who also watches said she heard they were going to have Mary Ann as the reason for a couple orgy's in the show this season ... hmmm if it's true, that will be interesting to say the least lol.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 4:07pm

I might be wrong, but I thought in the book that he was drinking (maybe not THAT often) but around the time he found the body in his car, and was taken off the case, because they called Portia to come in and pick him up at the bar,

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 6:29pm
Ok, those books have blurred - maybe I forgot the drinking part!?!? LOL! I can't wait to see who they cast for Portia too!

<
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 6:36pm

I second that motion!!! You may cheat on us as long as it benefits us!!!

so are we like your pimps???

Photobucket
Photobucket