A 90 second dishwasher cycle?

Community Leader
A 90 second dishwasher cycle?
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 7:46pm

I don't know why this has not made it to the home kitchen yet.  Microwaves made it to the home kitchen, drip coffee makers made it to the home kitchen, even deep fryers have made it to home kitchens.  But dishwashers?  PLEASE.  For at least 41 years I washed dishes in 90 seconds in restaurants and bars.  Some are high temp-low chemical machines, others are low temp systems that rely on more chemical.  They are the same size as a home unit.  But with one rack, everything fits.  Even your big baking sheets and stew pots. 

Should we start screaming at Maytag about faster dishwashers?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 7:45pm
Wouldn't self cleaning cabinets be nice!! LOL My sister had one those rolling ones, but it was more trouble than it was worth. I wouldn't even have room for that!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 10:18am

I bought my brother a very small dishwasher that rolls out of the kitchen, when he moved into his current house, which is about 65  years old.  It is perfect for a 2-member family.  I wish I had one like it for me, instead of my big built-in that takes me a week to fill up.  I'd rather have another cabinet than a built in dishwsher.  

Sometimes I get aggravated and just handwash, and use my folding dishrack.  Since that takes up so much counter space, I'm motivated to put everything away very quickly.  

I remember seeing a talk show in the 70's that featured a woman who designed a self-cleaning house.  Her kitchen cabinets were dish washers, just put the dirties back up with the cleans and wash the whole lot of them. Sounds good to me! 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 5:33pm

Such a great idea! Would save so many resources, in addition to making dishwashing a whole lot quicker!

Foodie Rewards

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 11:58am
I'd be happy with a dishwasher at all, no matter how long it took!! There isn't even a place in my mini kitchen for one.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 6:22am
Tried to post to this yesterday but couldn't, trying again...I agree, would love a dishwasher that washed in 90 seconds, heck even a 5 minute dishwasher would be great! Would save on water/energy...Ick is right on washing silverware on flat racks! At the nursing home where I cooked that's how they washed silverware, most times I had them run it through at least twice. If it still looked unclean I'd have them put the silverware in the holders used to store the silverware and put that on the flat racks to send through again. The young girls weren't to happy with the extra work but at least the silverware was clean!
Community Leader
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 8:53pm

The hardest thing to teach my dishroom staff was how to properly wash silverware.  The health department wants it washed twice, once with handles down to get the funk off the business end, then once with handles up because you touched the business end of the silverware when you unloaded it.  Way too many dishroom workers wanted to wash silverware on a flat rack (ICK). 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 1:31pm
90 seconds to wash dishes WOW that is different.. I personally have used them and the ones I used were longer than 90 seconds... The restaurant I worked in was never just 90 seconds but if it was it sure would of cut my time in the kitchen to do other things like run a bar when I wasn't in the kitchen working... Kroni I to ran or worked in both... ( I was the one who loved doing dishes because it was super cleaned by me)
<