Any recipes for Sodastream/simple syrup?

iVillage Member
Any recipes for Sodastream/simple syrup?
Fri, 05-30-2014 - 4:09pm

My husband bought me a sodastream two Christmases ago and honestly, I've used it 3x max. I do not like the syrups that they have. I've been seeing some recipes with making simple syrup (this strawberry one looks good!) and was wondering if you have any recipes you like to use or think would be good. She mentions chocolate mint but I can't for the life of me figure out how! LOL I figure mint leaves come into play, but the chocolate? Cocoa? Also I was wondering if when making simple syrup if you can use Splenda rather than sugar. Has anyone tried that?  

demecafe

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2014 - 7:04am

Thanks, everyone, for the input! I'm going to try to make some sumple syrup from Splenda this weekend and see how it turns out. 

cotbpatsy wrote:

I saw a sodastream for the first time this weekend and thought it was a great idea. Can you tell me how you like it and how easy it is to use? How is the clean up?

The clean up is super simple because you're only making a mess in the bottle. The syrup never touches the machine. The only thing that touches the machine is water and the CO2. (UNLESS you're carbonating something like wine, but then it's still just the spout.)

I don't like the flavored syrups they offer, and find the soda does not taste like name brand. It's sweeter, definitely more soda fountain taste. While I do love soda (I drink diet) with the sodastream, I add less syrup to get more of a seltzer water taste.  

It's easy when you get used to it. The first few times I jumped from the sound of the CO2. :) 

demecafe

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2014 - 9:31am

I saw a sodastream for the first time this weekend and thought it was a great idea. Can you tell me how you like it and how easy it is to use? How is the clean up?

Community Leader
Sat, 05-31-2014 - 2:49pm

I have experimented with making cream soda, and just adding the syrup to bottled club soda.  I've never used a sodastream, though.  I'm not sure about Splenda in simple syrup but it is worth a shot.  Stevia is too, and you can grow your own.  Cream soda is just vanilla; but I do enjoy it.  But I confess, I don't drink much soda unless it is beer soda...as my MIL calls it!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2014 - 5:03pm

Personally I like my fizzy water with just a squeeze of lemon/lime and/or sprig of basil/mint/rosemary.  Sometimes sliced cucumbers are nice, too.

For the chocolate/cocoa syrup, the first thing I can think of is just use those bottled syrups for coffee, such as Torani.