Apple Cider Vinegar

iVillage Member
Apple Cider Vinegar
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 7:52pm

It was suggested that I add a small amount of apple cider vinegar to my doggie's drinking water, because he has yeasty skin.  Yeah, I have that.  Pulled it out, and it has sediment in it.  It has been opened and about 1/5 of it used.  The pull date is March 2013.  Jabaar's water grew something that looked like mold.  Now, if he is yeasty, I certainly don't want him drinking moldy water!  I bought a new bottle of apple cider vinegar.  The funky bottle and some outdated baking soda are going to sweeten a drain....

I have never refrigerated vinegar.  Am I supposed to?  I'm no novice in the kitchen. but I don't claim to know everything.

Community Leader
Sun, 01-06-2013 - 11:42am
ROFLMAO!
<
Community Leader
Wed, 01-02-2013 - 8:14pm
ROFLMAO!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-01-2013 - 3:11pm

My cat will drink out of the toilet before he will share the water bowl with the dogs.  Dogs have gross cooties, don't you know?  LOL  If the dogs drink out of the cat's bowl, he will refuse to use it until I wash and refill it.

Pedigreed, Siamese snob...

Community Leader
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 8:07am

Do the cats drink from the same bowl as the dogs?  LOL, it would probably work.  My son used to drink all the brine out of the pickle jars.  He was addicted to vinegar.  I like turnip greens and blackeyed peas because they are a vehicle for delivering vinegar/pepper sauce to my mouth.  Cool

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-30-2012 - 8:39pm
I adore vinegar. I have a gallon jug of both cider and white under my sink. That said, I had no idea what grew in Gaye's vinegar. Interesting stuff. I clean with it too, Karen. I have one of those 101 uses books and I swear by using vinegar. I love the taste in foods too. You think the vinegar in dog water tip would work for cats too?

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

Community Leader
Sun, 12-30-2012 - 4:54am

You have actually accomplished something that most vinegar connoisseurs aspire to...you have created a MOTHER.  You can't make vinegar without a mother.  Once you establish a mother, you can make your own vinegar forever.  And you did it by accident.  The mother is the thing that grew in his water.  But you probably did the right thing buying new vinegar for him.  A vinegar mother is pretty much a yeast thing.  

Vinegar in the dog water will also deter fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes.  I love vinegars, I clean my house with white vinegar solutions and wash my hair/body with cider vinegar solutions.  I am allergic to soaps and detergents, and most cleaning solutions.  I get by just fine with vinegar, and no one has ever accused me of smelling like a salad.  

Vinegar in the dog water is a good thing.  One expert I know said, "Yeah, they make a face when they drink it, but they DO drink it!"  

I have never kept vinegar in the fridge.  I would not recommend that.  I keep mine under the kitchen sink.  In gallon jugs (you can imagine, I use it for everything).  

Photobucket