baby food

iVillage Member
baby food
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 10:29pm

The baby is 5 months old and just started rice cereal. I plan to make baby food for this little one. What we aren't sure about is: 1.Doing jared to start and then switch after we get through all of the stage one foods. or 2. Making all food after this first round of

Pages

Community Leader
In reply to: squeakyone
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 11:23pm

You sure hit the right board...I made ALL of my children's baby food.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 1:56pm
I made most of my younger DD's baby foods, steamed most of the veggies, whether fresh or frozen, and then purred them in the blender most of the time, and then just strained it after, when she was just starting out. I added some mild spices after the initial tasting, but not as much as I'd have added for my taste.

I'm glad I did it that way for her, my older DD is REALLY picky (she got mostly store bought baby foods), but my younger DD likes just about everything. After a few months, she was eating exactly what the family was, and that's so much easier!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 3:03pm
That is a great point, about the picky eaters!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 5:56pm
I myself made my own baby food.. and all came out ok..
Little stomach need very little added to the food you make.
I myself didnt add it due to I wanted to get the baby's stomach
not into all that additives for health issues.
I have frozen some of this also.
<
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 11:19pm

Thank you, I would start by not adding any salt or spices but once the baby gets past the strained foods we start adding spices no salt. I never use canned food for baby food, unless it's things I have canned, tomatoes.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 11:31pm

I love that home made baby food is kept with freezing it.

Community Leader
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 10:18am

LOL, YUP, that is a clue, when he starts surfing your plate!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 2:38pm
One thing you might look into is whats called Baby Lead Weaning, which, simply put, skips the puree stage completely. Instead of cooking and blending baby's food, you'd steam a veggie (say whole green beans) and give one or two to baby. This isn't recommended for kids under 6 months, though. It works with the concept that as the child gains in motor skills, they get more food. Which is also supposed to follow their digestive tracts ability to handle things other than breast milk or formula. Its something I'm considering doing with our next child, although perhaps in a modified form of introducing the food in pureed form to be sure of allergies, then allowing the food in whole form. There is more to it than this, which is why its something I'm gonna find a book on before I make a firm decision, just wanted to put it out there that "baby food" doesn't have to mean spooned purees :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 3:10pm
I have a friend that never few her babies 'baby" food. I don't think I ever saw baby food in her house. Her babies ate whatever the family was eaing, just softer. Her kid aren't a bit picky now, and they are 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. She has a two month old also, and I am sure she'll do the same with him.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 3:22pm

I'm in total agreement!

Photobucket

Pages