Sun, 09-25-2011 - 10:37am

Basic Biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp cold butter or shortening or combination of both
1 cup cold buttermilk

Toss flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: k_roni
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 11:36am
I'm going to look up some recipes for casseroles, I might be brave enough!!

I do pancakes and heat them up later. I have a good recipe my DD6 got from school, called Oregon Pancakes, they are great. We always have leftovers, so I freeze them, and it makes and easy snack for later. My DD3 likes peanut butter on them, and just fold them in half.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 11:56am

I've always been curious about that overnight French toast thing.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 1:23pm
See Im not a huge egg fan either. Maybe thats why Ive not been pushed to do a breakfast casserole. I love me a deviled egg, but aside from that, I just tolerate them.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 1:27pm
Oh yeah the french toast thing. Ive always done the dip and pan fry thing. Its always just ok. Never great. And its the bread that is the source of the ok-ness. I use regular ol sandiwch bread. We dont have stale bread, lol. I could let some go I guess, but I need to be in the mood for french toast.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Community Leader
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 1:56pm

That is when I love the bakery thrift store...getting breads other than sandwich bread, at a price that isn't overblown.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 9:28pm
Thanks Karen for the quiche recipe!! I've been wanting to try one. Story about that...it'sone of the first things I amde in my freshman home ec. class. I kne how to cook NOTHING. I relied on my best friend and partner to do the cooking, and I ended up being her sous chef, never learned a thing in that class. The teacher didn't like me...she's had my sister 14 years earlier, didn't like her either and decided I wasn't worthy either...lol. Anyway, I remember tat quiche being really gross, but have had store bought ones since that were great. I really liked the ones with mushrooms. I'm going to take you recipe Karen and run with it!!

I do a good french toast, it's a fav. of the DH. I make mine with cinnamon, nutmeg and a little vanilla, and I try to use bread that is as stale as possible. If I have leftover bread from my bread machine (it's kind of thick anyway, and tnds to be dense) I prefer to use that. We're big egg eaters, I figure a dozen a day on weekends just for breakfast.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sat, 12-03-2011 - 6:29pm

that's a LOT of eggs!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-03-2011 - 10:52pm
Ohh...I'm going to try your trash browns! That sounds really good. My mom made homemade hash sometimes, onion, potato, and ham maybe? I've never tackled it.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sun, 12-04-2011 - 11:31am

Mom made hash from leftover roast beef.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-05-2011 - 11:27am
Now that you mentioned it, I do think she used leftover roast, or maybe steak. I have turkey that I need to either use or freeze, but I'm out of onions. Would you use raw potatoes, or cook them first? Bake or boil? I love to make hash browns with leftover baked potatoes, sliced thin and fried in bacon grease....yummm!!!

~Misty~

Pages