Best way to make beer butt chicken?

iVillage Member
Best way to make beer butt chicken?
Thu, 08-08-2013 - 9:34pm

I have to admit right up front that I have no clue what I am talking about. It's something my husband's sister requested when they come out to visit next week. All I know about it is that you use a beer (in a can) and put it in the chicken's butt and cook the chicken. But I assume there are other aspects to it, like spices, rubs, etc. Is there a better beer brand to use? Does it matter? LOL

Anyone have a good recipe? While I'm not looking to wow, I would like my husband's family to think I know what I'm doing in the kitchen! ;)

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-09-2013 - 3:39pm

I have never heard of it either but you certainly have my attention. I'd love to hear what someone who knows has to say about it.

Community Leader
Sat, 08-10-2013 - 6:33pm

Beer can chicken is simple as it can be.  You don't have to use beer; you can use root beer, 7 Up, apple juice; anything.  It is all about the inside-out steaming.  Use an open can  2/3 full of your "steam" of choice, sit your chicken whole on the can, rub it down with spices and oil (or not, your choice), move it to the grill and cook on indirect heat, turning at least once.  If you have ever made Sticky Chicken, the rub for that works well for beer can chicken.  

Happy grilling!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 08-11-2013 - 1:11pm
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-12-2013 - 4:42pm

Thanks so much!! The video helped and what a better way to say it! LOL ;)

I'll be making it Thursday, I'll let you all know how it comes out! 

Community Leader
Tue, 08-13-2013 - 10:56pm

Anxiously awaiting your results!  I have a beer can chicken STAND (got at the dollar store for a dollar, go figger) but it does not help any.  I do fine with the can...of whatever.  I can hook you up with something a little more down home.  

Another great video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS6R2IzDI10

Photobucket