The best/easiest way to hard boil eggs?

Community Leader
The best/easiest way to hard boil eggs?
Fri, 01-21-2011 - 11:36am

Hi!

I've read various suggestions on how to hard boil, the most recent being keep on heat until boiling, cover and remove and sit for X amount of time (depending on egg size). I believe I use extra-large so my time would be 18 minutes.

I'm very picky with my eggs so I really hate when they are not boiled/cooked enough or when they are over cooked (no green for me, please!).

What is the best way to boil them so they end up perfect?

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-22-2011 - 3:29am

That is the basic method I use, but I never set a timer & sometimes I forget they are waiting for me.

Community Leader
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 1:26pm

I boil my eggs like you. I have tried the bring to boil and then cover and take off the heat and that is fine too....works both ways for me. I find I have better luck if I boil a dozen rather than 2......have you ever boiled 2 eggs till you wonder what exploded and you know you only left them for a minute or 2? Or say 40? LOL Don't tell anyone because I did that once and it took me for ever to clean the pan...the next time I had a very cheap pan and after that eggtime the pan? I don't know what happened to that pan....(well I ain't telling anyway)...lol

I also have always wondered why when some kids wouldn't eat a fried egg or egg in salad would down a ton of deviled eggs? Or adults that don't like eggs don't have a problem with deviled either? I have told the family that what we ought to do is when we have our picnic is get the fried chicken and then everyone just bring 5 doz of deviled eggs.........and you won't believe how many people said "That works for me"......what is it about them?

I love eggs. When Del was in the hospital I had breakfast "special" , it was creamed eggs on buttermilk biscuts......I know they get that stuff frozen and they just heat it up but I am telling you I loved that stuff.....I tried making it myself, while it was ok it wasn't as good as in the hospital.......

Fried , poached, scrambled or anyway you can think of I love them......and talk about cheap.....

Well, now I went and did it...I am hungry......lol....

Community Leader
Mon, 01-24-2011 - 10:18pm

I have this question so often, and usually closer to Easter,

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 01-26-2011 - 1:33pm
LOL! I find that happens to me too!
Community Leader
Wed, 01-26-2011 - 1:36pm
LOL! I'm pregnant so I've been trying to eat an egg for breakfast for the protein. I'm very picky about my eggs though. I only like fried, hard boiled or scrambled and of course deviled! LOL

And I agree with the deviled eggs. They go like hot cakes at any BBQ I've been too (although I will admit that I'm picky with them as well -- some people make them differently, and I love vinegar so I use some mustard in mine).
Community Leader
Wed, 01-26-2011 - 1:37pm
Thanks, Karen! No worries on finding it - this is fine! :) I definitely don't have a commercial pot so I'll mess with the time a bit, but this all helps! :)
Community Leader
Wed, 01-26-2011 - 9:04pm
YEP, gotta have that mustard!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 01-26-2011 - 9:16pm

When I was pregnant, back when dinosaurs were new, I took the "miracle vitamin" that you had to have a scrip for (turned out it was nothing but Centrum), and ate what I craved.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 01-26-2011 - 9:22pm

Any reasonably heavy pot will work.

Photobucket