Black Friday?

Community Leader
Black Friday?
Sun, 11-14-2010 - 8:48pm

I'm not much on shopping but Don told me that Black Friday is EVERY Friday this year, not just the day after Turkey Bowl!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: k_roni
Sun, 11-14-2010 - 11:13pm

I think Cyber Monday is the Monday after Thanksgiving & it is the online counterpart to Black Friday.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 2:43pm

Hi Karen -- like the above poster says, usually they say the Monday following is when all the great online deals are. This year, though, I've read a lot of articles that say most places are already cutting prices and offering deals (special/free shipping, etc.) to get you to spend your money with them first before Black Friday rolls around. It may really depend on what you're looking for. I used to love going shopping in the mall and out to all the big places on Black Friday, but not much anymore, since we spend Thanksgiving with my husband's family in Long Island. I'm doing more shopping online because I can usually plan out the "bargains" better that way and comparison shop -- plus the more I'm out of the stores, the less inclined I am to pick up a few more things, so even if the bargains aren't mind-blowing, I'm probably saving more money in the long run anyway. Not to mention my sanity ;)

Caryn D. Stein
Director of Community, iVillage.com | Contact Us
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 4:19pm

I've heard that there are going to be great deals online on Thanksgiving day. I'll probably check those out. Believe it or not, my husband is the one who likes getting up early to go shopping on Black Friday. I caught him sneaking out of the house one year at 4 am when we were all sleeping! :smileyvery-happy:

Photobucket

Community Leader
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 7:20pm
How disappointing! That is what I am afraid of...not really finding any real benefit to the effort!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 7:22pm
I agree about browsing online to save your sanity! I just can't bear the drive-park-walk-drive-park-walk-drive-park-walk and still find nothing!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 7:31pm
WOW, you mean he wasn't out on Christmas Eve with the REST of the hubbies? LOL!!!!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 7:35pm

I guess I will just have to pay attention!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-16-2010 - 2:06pm
I thought there was a website called BlackFridayDeals.com but when I typed that in I was sent to Amazon. At any rate, it sounds like they will have some good deals starting on Monday. Here's what their site says:

"You've come to the right place. And you were smart to get here early because we're starting early. Come back Monday, November 22, 2010, for a week of amazing Black Friday deals. We'll be adding new deals all day, every day, so you can visit anytime and find terrific prices."

So I guess I'll add that to my list of sites to stalk! :)
Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 11-16-2010 - 3:43pm

My opinion, if you know what you are doing and are up on the things you might be interested in so you know the prices of them at any other time of the year you won't get caught up in the OOOOO it is Black Friday and it is the best price ever....thing. I never did believe that and for myself have seen first hand...

I have been to the stores at 4 am the day after Thanksgiving and if they were selling everything for a dollar I won't go again.. I won't even go shopping at all in December....it is so unreal to see the people and the way they act....and those prices only good at 4 am a lot of times if you go back a few days later they are still there.. It made me feel like a fool....getting up that early to get THOSE specials only to go back and see them there in Dec....Jan. untill they were gone..

I do think that all stores this fall have been running pretty good specials on the weekend. They almost have to because people aren't buying like they did in better times.

As for online. I shopped catalogs for the first 35 or so years of my marriage, so I don't have to touch some things to be able to know what I am getting. I have to say though somewere around 20 years ago they started changing the sizing on clothes.... for women and children....so unless you mostly buy one brand sometimes you have to try on. But with stores like Penneys you can order online try it on and if it don't work you can take it back to a store and not have to pay to send it back...

But for other things I would say you can get as good or better deal online probably all year long than you can in the store. And you won't have people taking things out of your cart or bumping into you or having kids screaming that didn't want to be there.....

Like I said if you factor in having to go somewhere and what you put up with in the stores besides in some parts of the country half freezing to death.....lol.....I know I am going to do online shopping.

Afte

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 11:29pm

I think Don is right. When the economy is doing badly the stores will have more

black Friday type deals. I've been getting email basically every Friday telling me

it's black Friday again already and I need to shop.

Photobucket

Pages