Bread Failure

iVillage Member
Bread Failure
Wed, 02-06-2013 - 4:24pm

So, I tried to make bread. It didn't seem to rise a whole lot, and it was inedible. It looked nice but the crust was so hard I could barely cut through it and the bread was way too heavy and dense. What causes that?

Pages

Community Leader
Wed, 02-06-2013 - 7:02pm
wow I love making bread I myself use the rapid rise and it seems to come out great.. Can you give us some idea what you used in ingredients.. How long you baked it..
<
Community Leader
Wed, 02-06-2013 - 7:18pm

I'm with Wren, we need an idea of your recipe, oven times, etc.  But I'm going to offer the two most common problems:  dead yeast or flat flour.  Your yeast can die of old age, or from blooming in water too warm.  Flat flour happens when you keep flour for too long.  

Keeping yeast and flour in the fridge helps; I won't keep my yeast anywhere BUT the fridge.  The whole flour that I mill from wheat berries, I keep in the freezer, and use a combination of whole flour and bread flour to bake my breads.  

Give us the details!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-08-2013 - 11:34am

The recipe was for no-knead bread. It basically just had flour, yeast, salt and water. I do keep my flour in the fridge and it wasn't old, and I had bought the yeast a few weeks ago but it was in the cupboard. I used the quick rise yeast and table salt instead of course salt and used less than called for but the recipe said you could eliminate the salt

I just read this on the recipe: Allow the loaf to cool on a rack until it is room temperature. If you cut into a loaf before it is cooled you will have a tough crust and a gummy interior. Okay, I may not have waited long enough, but hard to believe it would make that much of a difference?

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/02/09/back-to-basics-tips-and-techniques-to-create-a-great-loaf-in-5-minutes-a-day

Community Leader
Sat, 02-09-2013 - 11:44am
Evelyn I think what happen to you * after looking at this recipe Is you added to much flour and you didn't use enough salt in it.. * I personal would of done a pack of yeast the salt and a little flour to begin with then added the water to it then stirred then add more flour as needed to make the dough.. It does look like a great recipe but for me and I bake a lot .. I don't think by not letting it cool longer had nothing to do with the texture.. * I do use table salt but always use the full amount with the yeast.. without yeast you would need another to make it come out right.. Now this is a few thoughts on the idea.. Kroni will be around also to add her ideas.. ps if you do refrigerate your ingredients you will need to take them out and let them warm up to room temperature before you begin to do any baking.... If you didn't that may be a reason for it not coming out also..
<
Community Leader
Sat, 02-09-2013 - 1:50pm

also if the recipe calls for softening the yeast in warm water before you start, then make sure the water is not too hot or it will kill the yeast.  And sometimes when you buy yeast make sure it is good and alive before you use it.

Good luck.  I love making breads.  and anything else of course.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-10-2013 - 5:42am

Honestly, I never  get good no knead breads, I tried a lot of different recipes and  they never come out good.  A I make  lovely loaf with perfect sponge and crust when I do  loafs that needs to be kneaded.

Also quick rise yeast doesnt work as  dry active yeast or fresh yeast so that could be the reason it failed.

Try this recipe  for bread, http://throughtheovendoor.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2418 so far no had a problem with this bread and kneading isnt as hard as people thinks.

Community Leader
Sun, 02-10-2013 - 8:41pm
Thanks for the recipe... http://throughtheovendoor.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2418
<
Community Leader
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 12:25am

ISmileycons! just love home made bread.  Especially when it first comes out of the oven and is hot.  Yum.  hot new bread with butter and honey.

Photobucket

Community Leader
In reply to: k_roni
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 7:48pm

Salt kills yeast.  When you add the salt is important.  When I make it, the salt goes in last. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 2:09pm

What does the salt do? Does it matter what kind you use and can you leave it out? All the recipes I've been looking at throw all the ingredients in together.

Pages