Canning Salsa

iVillage Member
Canning Salsa
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 11:33am

A friend and I want to get together and can a bunch of salsa. She's got the tomatoes, and the stuff to can with, I will get the remaining fresh ingredients from the store. She has canned a few things before (never salsa) but I have not.

Can you use any salsa recipe and can it? Or does it need to be something special?

Why cant I find a recipe for salsa using fresh tomatoes? And one that isnt for plum tomatoes? And one that DOES NOT use bell peppers!? I hate bell peppers. They have a wierd wang and give me awful indigetion. Yuck!

Help?

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 8:17am
Great idea, thanks!

Visit

Community Leader
In reply to: k_roni
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 7:15pm

Add the cilantro to the tomatoes before canning, and you won't have to be at the store buying fresh cilantro every time you make the salsa!  The rest is pretty easy to keep on hand.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 8:49pm
*slapping my forehead* duh! can the tomatoes!!
I have only made salsa with store bought canned tomatoes. And it is awesome. I use PW's recipe.
I will pass this along to my friend and we will decide what she wants to do. She had her heart set on making salsa for canning, lol!

Visit

Community Leader
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 7:23pm

The best salsas come from canned tomatoes.  My recipes don't use bell pepper, but I do add some fresh jalapeno (not manditory).  Fresh diced onion, cilantro, lemon and lime juice, a touch of sugar...I'm good to go!  But canning it might make it mushy. 

Why not can your homegrown tomatoes and when you want salsa, pop it into the processor with onion and citrus and cilantro?  

Plum tomatoes are the meatiest, that is why you see them used a lot.  The big slicers that are so wonderful on your hamburger just don't make good salsa.  But that doesn't mean you should not try!  I'll be dying to know how you make out with it!

Photobucket