Chicken Spaghetti

Community Leader
Chicken Spaghetti
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 6:34pm

One of my favorite meals when I was growing up was chicken spaghetti.  Yesterday on food channel, Pioneer Woman made it.  

Here's her version http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/chicken_spaghet/

Here's my Mom's

1 hen
1 lb thin spaghetti
2 tbsp butter
1 large diced bell pepper
1 med diced onion
2 celery  ribs, diced
1 can mushroom soup
1 can tomato soup
2 bay leaves
Chili powder
Garlic

Boil the hen, pick off the meat and discard skin and bones.   In a skillet, cook the vegetables and garlic in butter, add bay leaves and both cans of soup.  Add 1 can measure of water and allow this to simmer for an hour.  Bring the chicken broth to boiling and cook the spaghetti in it.  At my house, there was nothing to drain, the chicken broth cooks down completely.  Add the chicken meat, the sauce, and stir.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 4:43pm

I hear you!  Try cooking for one.  :smileyfrustrated:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 1:48pm

I've heard of Chicken Spaghetti but always thought it was regular tomato spaghetti sauce with chicken instead of ground beef or sausage.  This reminds me of a tetrazzini with out the mushrooms, parmesan, peas . . . OK maybe not tetrazzini.

The food network needs a show for people who only cook for one or two people.  I'm done with family style meals, its only my husband and I now, my son has moved out and no longer is the leftover luncher.

Patty

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/yttap/siggys/
Community Leader
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:10pm

I don't have a recipe for frizzles!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 9:53pm

Smileycons!  Well.....I like it.......I'm gonna hafta try it now.  But I think I'll cheat and use skinless, boneless chicken instead of starting from scratch with a whole chicken which cost's alot here.  And my little chickies are too small to eat and I love them anyway and don't eat my chickens.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 9:15am

I did some work on Mom's recipe to get the fat out and remove the high sodium soups.  As you know, processed foods are mostly out for me these days.  But last night, I had dinner wtih my brother and we talked about the chicken spaghetti Mom made.  It brought back memories for both of us.  Yesterday was our dad's birthday, he passed away in 1991.  Mom passed away 4 years ago next week.  So we have planned a chicken spaghetti event in memorial SOON.  

Mostly what I did to reduce fat in Mom's recipe was to cook the chicken the day before and chill the stock to peel the fat off.  Then I replaced the canned soups with a mushroom and tomato sauce made from a roux.  

Either way, it's wonderful.  I love chicken spaghetti.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 11:02pm
I've heard of it, but have never had it. I'd like to sometime, it looks like something my older DD would eat, and that is always a plus!

~Misty~