Christmas Dinner

iVillage Member
Christmas Dinner
Mon, 12-19-2011 - 6:59pm

I host on Christmas Eve each year for my mom's side of the family. I look forward to making the big meal each year. This year we got a big ol 18 pound ham as a gift! So that saved us a lot of money!

Here is what I plan on serving.

Ham, a small Turkey Breast (mom is making), Dressing (mom is making), Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Sweet Potato Casserole, Homemade Noodles (my Aunt is making), Corn, Green Beans, Rolls, and deviled eggs.

Dessert is brownies, pecan pie, and dirt dessert.

My mom comes over in the morning and helps me prepare the lunch. Its nice having the extra hand and just cooking with my mom. I am so relieved that my aunt offered to make homemade noodles. They are just soooo much better than store bought. I finished my grocery shopping for everything I am making today. We usually have 19 people so we make

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Community Leader
Sat, 12-24-2011 - 6:24pm
We also have different taste I love Turkey and he loves Ham but
for Christmas I do Roast of Beef Prime Rib or a Rib roast..

Next week we will have the Ham..
It will be a great dinner either way..

With family its always full of happiness...
* esp with choc cream pie and Lemon pie for desserts..
( homemade whipped cream )
Merry Christmas Kellie..
<
Community Leader
Wed, 12-21-2011 - 8:06pm
Sounds like you are all pretty set sounds like a nice meal..

<
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-21-2011 - 5:50pm
I'd make ham much more often if it wasn't so spendy. We always have one for Easter though, I look forward to that for months!

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 11:37am

Christmas is the only time we have ham too. I really look forward to it, but DH reaaaaaally wants turkey. I might get just a breast and cook it for him.

For Christmas I like to do ham, au gratin potatoes, asparagus, pineapple souffle and bread. Nothing over the top like at Thanksgiving. DH like to just have a repeat of Thanksgiving dinner...I guess we'll end up compromising!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 11:29am
My aunt usually cooks them in the crockpot slow for a while in turkey broth. They are sooo good.
Christmas is the only time of year we have ham and I look forward to it. I dont know why we dont have it at least a couple more times ayear.

Visit

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 11:26am
If we were closer, Id totally bring you a batch of cinnamon rolls! I love love prime rib!!!! I just dont want to pay for it, lol! It would be an honor for your MIL to say something like that...wow! I used to do fudge for goodie bags. Im over that though, lol. And yes, do that take and bake pizza. Save yourself the hassle of making any more than that.

Visit

Community Leader
Mon, 12-19-2011 - 8:38pm

I thnk we are having venison roast, I think.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-19-2011 - 7:53pm
I want to have cinnamon rolls at your house Christmas morning!! They sound good! I miss having homemade noodles, I'm going to have to try them one of these days. I'd love to host, but I couldn't get 19 peple into my house. =)

I am up in the air yet. I don't host for Christmas. Christmas Eve we go to my sister's, she makes turkey and all the fixings. This year I'm making a ham to bring, probably gravy also, and then devied eggs and a couple of pies. I think pumpkin and french silk, those are always the favorites! I'm going to make the French Silk tomorrow or Wednesday, then pumpkin probably Friday. I'll do the eggs Saturday morning. We eat early, around 12:30, so then we go home later and I have to deal with dinner for just us at home. I'm thinking a take and bake pizza!! LOL

Christams morning it's just the four of us, and I gave up the idea of a casserole, and am going to make biscuits and gravy instead. Fairly quick and easy, and everyone in my family loves it.

After breakfast and gifts, we drive 2 hours to my MIL's and have prime rib dinner. Not my favorite, but she saves me the ends! I will bring a French Silk Chocolate pie, then I will do the mashed potatoes and make deviled eggs when we get there. My MIL asked if I could take those over this year. It's actually an honor, and very nice that she wants me to do it!

I give goodie bags every year, and usually do a lot of different goodies. But this year I've run out of time and energy early...lol. I already did three batches of sugar cookies, and I dipped three bags of pretzels today. At the end of the week I'll make several batches of Kettle Corn, that's quick and easy.

Whew, that was a novel!!

~Misty~