Cook w/RUSTY Pan? Store Food in METAL in Fridge?

iVillage Member
Cook w/RUSTY Pan? Store Food in METAL in Fridge?
Fri, 10-22-2010 - 6:52am

Can you use a rusty pan to cook?

Community Leader

There is nothing wrong with storing food in the fridge in the metal pot, or storing it with the spoon in it.

Photobucket
Community Leader

I can say as old as I am if you are not talking about a cast iron pan, that I have never had a rusty pan. EVER..... Wonder what that says about me? LOL

I have revived many a cast iron pan though...and I have put the lid on a sause pan and put it in the frig.

The set of pans that my folks gave us for our first anniversary that would have been in 1962 have all but gone away. I still have the 1 qt pan because with 7 people in the family it just didn't get used very much. But eventually the rivits that the handles screwed into came off and left holes in the pans. I think they were Wearever and I think they almost did...

Over the last few years I have bought non stick frying pans used them for a while then when the stuff wore off I would toss them. I even bought one of those glass ones with the non stick coating that only lasted a couple of months one of the worst and most expencive pans I ever bought...

Thanks to rust thought I did get my mom's cast iron chicken cooker that my brother had...he said the dumb thing just kept rusting. Years later when he was here I got it out to cook something and he said I was some kind of witch because it wasn't rusty....lol.....I didn't tell him how to take care of it because I thought he would ask for it back...

Community Leader

AMEN, I love rescuing cast iron!

Photobucket