Cooking beef round?

iVillage Member
Cooking beef round?
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 2:11pm

Hey ladies! Can you help me out?

I don't know much about cuts of meat, but I bought a big package of steaks in the clearance bin this morning. It's labeled "beef round eye of round steak" and is cut into small pieces about 3/4 inches thick. I was wondering what the best way to prepare and cook this would be. I bought enough for two meals, so I can actually try two different things. I might cook one serving as steak and one as part of a stir fry....or something like that.

So...would this cut even be okay to eat as a steak? Or is one of those tough ones that you want to do something else with? (Can you tell how often we buy / eat red meat!?)

Any advice is appreciated!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 12:56pm
I don't know much about cuts of meat either, and I'm curious about what Karen is going to say about this. I like to get meat from the manager's special when I can.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 1:38pm

I love making Eye of Round roast. What you hav got there are just cuts of a roast that can end up tough if your not careful. A good marinade would be great or wraping them with bacon, butter dabs, or

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 2:01pm
I Use it for making a Swiss steak type of thing -- season it, flour it, pound it out a bit , brown it, then cook it slow in a tomatoey sauce & serve with noodles or mashed potatoes. My kids love that!

Community Leader
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 3:28pm
K-roni will have a lot to say on this one.
I myself also buy things in the bargain bins and love to find bargains.
I would slow cook it. I have done done what jaielyn said with swiss steak
with the tomatoes and that makes a delicious meal.
You also could do a browning of it and then add the brown gravy to
slow cook it.
I have grilled it on the grill for basic steaks all have turned out great-
quick and simple..
Well Kroni will pop in with her advice..
Now you have me craving steak..

<
Community Leader
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 9:19pm

Look what happens when I have a busy day at work!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 11:32pm
mmaielua7 wrote:
I like to get meat from the manager's special when I can.

That's usually the only way I buy meat. I hit the store right after I drop the kids off at school in the morning. The grocery store is next door to the school practically so I get there right as they're marking down meat for the day. I'm sort of a vulture I guess, but I save a lot of money that way!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 11:33pm
Squeaky, You had me at bacon! :-) That makes everything better!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 11:36pm
jaielyn wrote:
I Use it for making a Swiss steak type of thing -- season it, flour it, pound it out a bit , brown it, then cook it slow in a tomatoey sauce & serve with noodles or mashed potatoes. My kids love that!

That's a good idea! I have a bunch of tomatoes that I picked before our snow storm last week. I need to cook them soon, so I could make sauce with them and cook the beef with it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 11:38pm
wren53 wrote:

Now you have me craving steak..

:smileyhappy: I know, I can't wait to eat it! I had to throw it in the freezer because we had something come up and won't be able to cook it until Friday.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 11:40pm
Another vote for bacon. I love you ladies! (Almost as much as I love bacon...haha.) I think I'll go with bacon wrapped steaks, then when I do stir fry with the other half I'll braise it.

Thanks so much everyone!
Photobucket

Pages