iVillage Member
Cooking Carrots
Mon, 08-22-2011 - 3:51pm

My family aren't carrot fans.

~Misty~

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-30-2011 - 10:13pm
I had some macaroni salad once that had a lot of shredded carrot in it, and I LOVED it!! It was the best I've ever had, but have never been able to replicate it. I make mine with miracle whip, only way DH will eat it, but I prefer mayo. I've put carrots in mine, but DH picks them out.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Mon, 08-29-2011 - 2:23pm

My kids always ate veggies,,,,,I had one that wanted onions hidden and one that didn't like chunks of tomatoes....but if there were onions and carrots cooked with a roast you better fix a lot of them everyone liked them....I started putting big celery chunks in there also.......I think it was the meat flavor they were after....lol

I remember one time being at an aunt's house or something and she fixed candied carrots.....while I didn't think they were bad my kids said they were gross.....you can just never tell with kids......

My macaroni salad became known as Mom's, veggie salad with pasta I would put everything in there and topped it off with shredded carrots.....

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 10:02pm
Thanks for the recipes! The Brown Sugared Carrot recipe was just like the one my mom made. I did that last night, I made them with butter, brown sugar, and then used Karen's suggestion of maple syrup. Boy did it smell good while cooking!! Both my girls were drooling. DD6 ate a few, tried to make me think she liked them, and then I finally told her she was off the hook...lol. She tried, so that is more than she would have done a year ago. My DD3 are quite a few, so I think it's a side that will be on our table every once in a while!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 7:36pm
My daughter makes carrot souffle a lot. It's really good!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 2:37pm
Yup, now I'm hungry for foil dinners! It's one of my fav fall things, I'll have to plan to make them soon. I remember one day in school, we had 'outdoor' school, and we made what they called "hobo" dinners....I thought it was the worst thing in the world, because I was used to my moms, who used lots of cheese and butter...lol. I wanted FALVOR! I think I told them what I thought too...hehe.

Boy, I'm getting hungry for apple pies, and turkey...!

Whe it cools off enough here to have to oven on for a lenth of time, I'm making me some foil dinnes!!!! It's still in to 90's, blah!!!

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 2:37pm
jaielyn wrote:
Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 11:10pm
Let's work on a chat date, Linda!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 10:48pm

Reading this you guys are making me very, very hungry.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 10:01pm
I LOVE cabbage! LOL! That sounds very good!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 9:29pm
My dad hated grits, from NY, but stationed in GA in the 50s. I love them, my kids & DH don't really care for them.
Levi makes what they call "hobo dinners" in scouts. Cooked in a foil packet, but placed in a cabbage leaf, first. It has hamburger made into meatballs, carrots, potatoes & onions with butter, salt & pepper. We made them recently but added a bit more seasoning & some diced smoked sausage -- quite tasty, even the other two who were totally opposed to the whole idea scarfed them up & I ate all the cabbage leaves!

Pages