Croissants?

iVillage Member
Croissants?
Mon, 12-12-2011 - 8:48pm

Has anyone ever tried making them from scratch? Ive been curious lately, but just kept forgetting to search the net when I would sit in front of the computer. Well, I just got this month's Cooks Illustrated in the mail today and they had a recipe in there. While I tend to think that they can make a simple thing a little more difficult than it really can be, I love the magazine and love love the explainations they give. Anyway...I am asking about it because thier recipe called for a total of 27 table spoons of butter!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Paula Deen! I cant believe it. I plan to sit and explore other recipes soon, but I wanted to ask here. The recipe only made 22 croissants. That just seemed like a lot of butter. Maybe that is the key to them? I dont know. I need to read the article again, and better.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 12:46am
Fresh baked croissants are a Christmas tradition at our house (also for Father's day & other special weekend celebrations). I cheat, thought & buy the frozen, unbaked croissants from the grocery store bakery, proof (or 'poof',as Levi likes to say) them overnight & bake them up fresh in he morning. Sooo good!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 9:23am
Thanks, I will check that out!

Visit

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 11:30am
Okay, I'll post the mix recipe from my Mix cook book. I haven't made anything from it yet, but I really want to. I think my MIL said she got her cook book in the 70's?

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 11:49am
Yay! I do love those old cookbooks. I have a couple that I bought from a library sale that are about that old. I love looking through them. Like you I havent made anything from it yet. I am always up for trying a new roll though!

Visit

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 1:09pm
My mom had the old Better Home and Gardens one, the red and whilte one. My sister and I fought over it until my mom bought us each our own...lol. But it was more fun looking through hers because we knew what recipes were the best by how dirty the pages were.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 1:29pm
Its like that with my moms old Betty Crocker book. There is just something about those dirty pages, lol.

Visit

Community Leader
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 8:31pm

Isn't it funny that moms pass down dirty books to their daughters?

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 8:35pm

A few years ago I got my daughter a cook book stand with a clear plexiglass splatter shield.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 1:09pm
LMBO ... I knew you would have a good funny, Karen! Good ol' dirty books.

I have heard a lot about the Pioneer Woman stuff, but have never seen her , doesn't she have a cooking show?

My mom changed a lot of recipes, and I loved that she wrote it down in her cook book, wish I had it but I'd afraid it's lost now. She'd use a basic recipe, and change it up, writing down the chagnes in the cook book. I've actually done the same things with a few of mine. I would like to get some of my grandmother's recipes, but she will be 96 in May and I don't get to see her, she's across the state. I write sometimes, but an aunt has to read the letters to her, and I don't know how much she really understands.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 4:56pm

Let the family know that you are interested in her cookbooks, recipe files, anything like that, that may be unclaimed after she passes on.

Photobucket