Dandelions

Community Leader
Dandelions
Sun, 04-28-2013 - 11:38am

Well today was a early morning walk then  to pick some dandelions-

* my Dad use to love them also and  he got me into them..

I try to get some  early in the season to have for my meals.  Just a variety of veggies here in this
household..

I use them in salads  and  dishes-  Like lasagna    which is nice  for a change of pace.

I also steam it and  put some cheese over it and bake a it until the cheese is melted.

<
iVillage Member
In reply to: wren53
Tue, 05-21-2013 - 6:15am
I'm about to ask for the recipe. Well, thanks for posting.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-15-2013 - 11:58pm
Sounds yummy. Thanks for the recipe.
Community Leader
In reply to: k_roni
Fri, 05-03-2013 - 5:13pm

I have this cool dandelion popper tool that pulls the root out with the dandelion; so I use it a lot.  But this neighborhood is full of cat and dog lovers, and the cats love my front yard best.  So I won't consider eating the dandelions.  

But here are some ideas for YOU, including ideas for the root:

Dandelion Greens with Sausage

• 1 gal. dandelion
  • 1 lb. smoked sausage
  • 3 small potatoes, cut and diced
  • 2 Tbsp. rice
  • 4 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 to 1 1/2 qt. water
  • 1 tsp. salt

1.       Wash and cut 1 gallon dandelion greens.

2.       Place in bottom of medium size pot.

3.       Put 1 pound of sausage, cut in pieces, in pot.

4.       Put more dandelion greens on top of sausage.

5.       cut and diced potatoes and put on top of greens.

6.       sprinkle 2 tablespoons of rice over potatoes.

7.       Boil all 40 minutes and add 4 tablespoons of vinegar before serving.

If it starts to boil dry, add more water.

Dandelion "Coffee"

This really isn't coffee, but it's an interesting hot drink that's easy to make once you've dug the dandelion roots. Scrub the roots well and trim away broken ends and hair roots. Place in a shallow baking pan and bake at 250 - 275 degrees until lightly browned. Cool and grate, grind or put them in a cloth and crush with a hammer.

Pour a cup of boiling water over a scant tablespoon of the crushed root. Let it set for a few minutes, then strain. Add honey, sugar and/or lemon. 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 05-01-2013 - 7:56pm
not good I think I wouldn't touch them either.. :( I get mine all over but not with animals doing their thing on them.. ( maybe wild animals) but I always wash them anyways.. I love to get them early on and its the way they look is how I pick them... If the look is tough I don't pick.. I had some in my salad tonight.. The other bunch I got yesterday went into freezer bags after I cooked them for a bit .. This way I have some later on... small portion * great for my vitamins..
<
Community Leader
Wed, 05-01-2013 - 7:53pm
now that is different... I love the ones I get on the hedge of the fields I walk, they seem softer than other ones.
<
Community Leader
In reply to: k_roni
Wed, 05-01-2013 - 12:55pm

Too much pet traffic for me to gather dandelions for eating.  LOL!  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 04-30-2013 - 2:45pm

Dandilions are pretty smart.  Now around here in the yard where they get mowed down, they barely come up and don't have many leaves, but send out their flower stalks and flower very early and the leaves say very close to the ground.  I think they learned that from getting mowed down and they need to get their flowers and seeds out as fast as possible.  Where other areas of the yard, the dandilions grown nice and big and lots of leaves before they flower.  Interesting, huh? 

Photobucket