DH is on a very restricted diet and I am very picky

iVillage Member
DH is on a very restricted diet and I am very picky
Thu, 05-30-2013 - 1:50pm

Luckily DD will eat dam* near anything. DH is diabetic and has been following a low carb, high protein diet for years, but now we've found out he has heart and kidney issues too. So he has to keep eating lower in carbs (no more than one serving per meal) but also restrict protein, saturated fats and sodium. This is hard enough on it's own, but I'm also really picky AND we're needing to save money and keep our grocery bill under 500 a month. 

DH is allergic to raw tomatoes and he won't eat salmon or catfish. 

I won't eat beef, pork, bacon, turkey, dark meat chicken, pretty much any other red meat, fat free dairy, egg whites (by themselves, I will eat whole eggs), egg beaters, onions and garlic unless it's used minimally, most canned or frozen fruits and vegetables. 

DD does some of the cooking on nights that I work late. DH is blind so while he is able to cook some things it's a lot more of a challenge for him. To put it bluntly, I won't eat most of his cooking. I also work at the airport and most leftovers are not TSA friendly, so usually I take sandwiches or protein bars with me. 

So far we can do spaghetti (we use low sodium tomato sauce, vegetarian "beef" and make it from scratch, and DH has his sauce over frozen cauliflower to reduce the carbs), stir fry with chicken, shrimp, or tofu, and DH makes black beans in the crock pot that are good. Other than that I am at a complete loss. Especially for things I can easily teach DD, who is 13, to make on her own. The less complicated the better. 

Community Leader

You have quite a dilemma there!  I'm not sure what to tell you, but it sounds like you are close to being vegetarian so I'm sure you are aware of beans as an alternative protein.  I grew up in a household with a few diabetics so I learned early about the balancing act of carbs and protein.  If DD is 13, she needs to start learning the recipes that you DO cook, and maybe she will come up with some ideas on her own.  I've had cook books since I was 6 years old and started cooking for the family when I was 12.  I came up with a lot of new ideas!  

Photobucket
Community Leader
are you still on in here ..
<