Diabetes is on the Attack

iVillage Member
Diabetes is on the Attack
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 10:33pm

Okay everyone, I need to pick your brain!!!

~Misty~

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 2:42pm
Uh-oh!

One of my go-to, easy meals is scrambled eggs. I love them with ham, or veggies mixed in. Let me look around and see what I can find. I know we just had some diabetic-friendly recipes out recently.
Photobucket

Community Leader
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 2:44pm

How many ways can you say BEANS and WHOLE GRAIN?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 2:58pm

Misty, Have you tried quinoa? It's also a great substitute for pasta or rice (not that you have to give those us, like Karen said) but it's super high in protein. I love it!

Here are some good recipes for you. I haven't found the one I was looking for yet, but I will!

20 Light and Healthy Recipes

Resolving to eat healthier this year? Need a break from all that holiday indulging? We've got 20 healthy dinner ideas that not only taste great, but also make you feel good

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/light-and-healthy-recipes-0/3-b-51598

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 3:09pm

Found some things. The one I remembered was from Thanksgiving, lol, but still good recipes!

32 Diabetes-Friendly Thanksgiving Dishes
These EatingWell recipes are fine for guests with diabetes and delicious for everyone
http://www.ivillage.com/diabetes-recipes-thanksgiving/4-b-400224

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 3:52pm
Thank you ladies!! SO much great info!! Kellie, those links are awesome, I'm going to start reading them and try to incorporate all that into meals, maybe my family won't even notice...lol. Although DH is getting better since I found out my sugar was so high. He says, well maybe he could eat slaad sometimes...lol. For my Hawaiian hubby, thjat is REALLY saying something! For him, it's not a meal without rice, or pasta.

Karen, I don't like beans, darn it! Or sweet potatoes, of course I love russets. BUT, it's kind of interesting because I have a friend who made brownies with beans! They were GREAT, so I'm going to get the recipe from her. Brownies are something that I can eat just a little of, and I'm happy. Is it a rule of thumb that you can replace the fat in a recipe with mashed up beans? Black beans I think is what my friend used.

Whole grains are another thing I know I need more of, so when I go my grocery shopping tomorrow, that's what I'll be getting.

Clear soup....that is a good idea. I'm wondering if I could add veggies to that to make it more of a whole meal, add some whole grain bread or something and it seems like that would be pretty filling. I'm having muscle cramping, and the doc told me that I need more potassium, so I'm going to stock up on avacado's and aspragus. Good thing I love them! Asparagus soup?

I do stay away from juice. I'd rather eat my sugar than drink it. DD7 hates ANYTHING fruit realated, DH won't drink much, but DD3 loves it. I allow her one sippy of it a day, but I water it down with half water. DH didn't know that, and was watching her one day, called and said she sure loves juice!! No wonder, he was giving it to her straight! LOL

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 8:13pm
I looked for quinoa this week, Kroger is still not "hip" to it.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 8:34pm

I can honestly say that I didn't like beans either, but now that I have learned how to use them in more ways than just cooked with a ham hock and served with cornbread, I am discovering that I really DO like beans.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 10:11pm
I'm with you in pinto bead and kidne beans....ewww!! I like whatever is in Bean and Bacon soup. My turkey chili recipe calls for a can of pork and beans, I like those. I guess they do have to be cooked right for me to stomach them!

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 10:42am
I love most any kind of beans, except garbanzo!! I will eat a few in minestrone & I like hummus okay, but they are not my favorite, for sure.
I like to use canned beans, as well as dried. I usually have a variety of cans on hand. I make my chili with an assortment of beans -- black, kidney, pinto, whatever is in the pantry.
I have a recipe for beans & greens soup that my cousin gave my years ago that everyone loves! Simple, filling & light...I think I will pick up some escarole & make it this weekend. YUM!

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 11:30am

I love chickpeas when they're cooked. I make these chickpea burgers that are one of my absolute favorite meals. I don't make the tahini sauce, but I spread a little of that Philadelphia cooking cream on top. So good!

I also like them roasted. I toss them with olive oil and sprinkle some kosher salt on top then roast them at 400* for about 30 minutes or so.

Photobucket

Pages