Dinner party tomorrow night!

Community Leader
Dinner party tomorrow night!
Fri, 02-01-2013 - 6:57pm

Tomorrow night we are having a dinner party, Mexican style.  The menu:  Creamy burrito casserole, Mexican shrimp cocktail, 7 layer dip, salad with Tropicale dressing, Pancho's cheese dip, salsa, frijoles, and margaritas.  We always do this at my brother's house because he has custody of his 13 year old son and has a big kitchen, 2 fridges, and table big enough.  So far it looks like 8-10 people.  I'm starting on frijoles tonight, and I might make the Tropicale dressing tonight.  I'll make cheese dip tomorrow, and salsa.  We'll make the 7 layer, the casserole, and the shrimp cocktail at my brother's house.  Have you ever had Mexican shrimp cocktail?  It is wonderful.  More of a soup, served chilled in a big goblet with a spoon.  

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
(Coctel de Camarones)

1 pound uncooked small shrimp (about 71 to 90 pieces per pound)
¾ cup ketchup
¼ cup Mexican hot sauce
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 small white onion, chopped
¾ cup clam juice
Salt
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, sliced crosswise
2 dozen saltines or 8 ounces tortilla chips
2 limes, cut into wedges

Fill a large pot halfway up with water and bring to a boil over high heat. When boiling, add the shrimp. Cook until shrimp are pink and firm, 10 to 30 seconds. Immediately drain shrimp in a colander and then rinse under cold water until shrimp are cool.

Stir together the ketchup, hot sauce, cilantro, lime juice, white onion, and clam juice in a medium-sized bowl. Taste to see if it needs salt. Add shrimp and stir well.

Serve the shrimp and sauce in four cocktail glasses, or simply in four bowls. Garnish with slices of avocado, and serve with lime wedges and crackers or tortilla chips.

Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader
Fri, 02-01-2013 - 6:58pm

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-02-2013 - 3:47pm

Yummmmmmmmmm!  What time is dinner?  Got room for two more?  Can I bring anything?

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-02-2013 - 10:37pm

Yup, all that sounds so good.  If I wasn't so far away, I'd show up even thought I hate football!!

But then, everything sounds good to me lately.  I'm always hungry, but am not able to eat as much at a time.  So I feel like I'm alwas either eating, planning what I'm going to eat, or am hungry...lol.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sun, 02-03-2013 - 10:40pm

I wish you could have!  over half of the guests came down with funk so we had TOO MUCH food for 5 people.  But we had fun!  It was good eating!  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 02-03-2013 - 10:47pm

No football!  this was a Saturday party, lots of great music and just goofing off.  Football was tonight, but I watched Walking Dead Marathon and now watching Guy Vs. Rachel food challenge, I have no clue about the Superbowl.  Not at all interested this year.  

I've declared my new (2 year old) blender to be totally lame.  It is an Oster, and it gave me a fit this weekend.  When my taxes come in, I'm going to spring for the Vitamix, and the Oster will go into a yard sale, with the Hamilton Beach that I got in 1975 that still works circles around the Oster, but I don't trust the wiring anymore.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 02-04-2013 - 4:19am

Well, yet again I am too late.LOL. Did you watch the game on Sunday?

Photobucket

Community Leader
Mon, 02-04-2013 - 12:32pm

I did not.  I was quite happy to miss it this year, not interested in wither team OR Beyonce.  This morning I watched all of the commericals online; there were a LOT of bad ones!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-04-2013 - 2:47pm

This is the time of year when I'm very thankful DH doesn't like football!  He only watches the Oregon Ducks, but nothing else.  He spent the day outside in the yard, it was actually above freezing...lol.  I don't like Beyonce either, not even a little bit.

Sickness is going around here too, my oldest DD has a cold, but nothing bad I don't think.  We've been lucky, and I really don't want to get anything, being preggo is kickig my butt enough as it is.  Now I have tooth pain, I'm afraid I'll have to go in fairly soon.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Mon, 02-04-2013 - 8:10pm

Yes, get that tooth looked at!  It can be harmful to the baby.  A bad tooth can let infection directly into your bloodstream.  On the other hand, the baby may be drawing excess calcium from you, which will cause tooth pain.  Call your preggo doctor too, and tell him about the tooth.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-05-2013 - 2:50pm

It's not too bad now, but I'm going to make an apt. with my dentist, not sure when I can get in though.  I'm just hoping it's not a problem with the root canal I had about 3 years ago, and it has never felt quite right.  Funy thing is, I'm still paying it off!

~Misty~

Pages