Dinner party tomorrow night!

Community Leader
Dinner party tomorrow night!
Fri, 02-01-2013 - 6:57pm

Tomorrow night we are having a dinner party, Mexican style.  The menu:  Creamy burrito casserole, Mexican shrimp cocktail, 7 layer dip, salad with Tropicale dressing, Pancho's cheese dip, salsa, frijoles, and margaritas.  We always do this at my brother's house because he has custody of his 13 year old son and has a big kitchen, 2 fridges, and table big enough.  So far it looks like 8-10 people.  I'm starting on frijoles tonight, and I might make the Tropicale dressing tonight.  I'll make cheese dip tomorrow, and salsa.  We'll make the 7 layer, the casserole, and the shrimp cocktail at my brother's house.  Have you ever had Mexican shrimp cocktail?  It is wonderful.  More of a soup, served chilled in a big goblet with a spoon.  

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
(Coctel de Camarones)

1 pound uncooked small shrimp (about 71 to 90 pieces per pound)
¾ cup ketchup
¼ cup Mexican hot sauce
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 small white onion, chopped
¾ cup clam juice
Salt
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, sliced crosswise
2 dozen saltines or 8 ounces tortilla chips
2 limes, cut into wedges

Fill a large pot halfway up with water and bring to a boil over high heat. When boiling, add the shrimp. Cook until shrimp are pink and firm, 10 to 30 seconds. Immediately drain shrimp in a colander and then rinse under cold water until shrimp are cool.

Stir together the ketchup, hot sauce, cilantro, lime juice, white onion, and clam juice in a medium-sized bowl. Taste to see if it needs salt. Add shrimp and stir well.

Serve the shrimp and sauce in four cocktail glasses, or simply in four bowls. Garnish with slices of avocado, and serve with lime wedges and crackers or tortilla chips.

Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader
Mon, 02-11-2013 - 12:35am

I never watch the super bowl.  Not in to that.  I just catch the previews of the commercials that they show on tv before and just after the bowl.  Not into Beyonce either I guess.

Photobucket

Pages