Do you defrost your chicken breasts?

iVillage Member
Do you defrost your chicken breasts?
Fri, 04-11-2014 - 11:36am

Hi!

We've been buying frozen breasts from Costco. I'm happy with them. The only thing is, I forget to defrost them sometimes. The bag (I believe they are Perdue) says they can be cooked from frozen, but I've never had luck with that. In a pinch I've used the microwave, but again, it can be iffy.

Do you guys cook from frozen? How do you do it? Add more time?

Thank you. :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2014 - 12:30pm

I never cook from frozen. I tried it a few times and my chicken just didn't turn out the same. If I don't have time to thaw then I will cook something else.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2014 - 1:15pm
I don't cook from frozen either unless I'm using my grilling pan and just plain grilling. I've never mastered the frozen breasts in an actual recipe. I'm curious what others say.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2014 - 1:26pm

You mean those bags of frozen chicken breasts? I didn't realize you were supposed to thaw them. I usually sprinkle them with garlic salt and throw them in the oven for a while until they look about done. They seem to taste fine to me.

I haven't tried using them in a recipe. What kind of recipe would you use them for?

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2014 - 3:58pm

I wouldn't try cooking frozen chicken because I think you would have to adjust the cooking time in your recipe and it probably wouldn't come out right.  If I forgot to defrost, I would do it in the microwave.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2014 - 5:14am

before the chicken is cooked, it would be better if in the first defros

http://ukurkadar.com

Community Leader
Mon, 04-14-2014 - 11:25am

Depends on the recipe!  They defrost pretty quickly, though.  If I'm breading them, I want them totally defrosted and dry.  A quick way to defrost them is to seal them in a zipper bag and submerge them in hot tap water.  Thawing in the microwave sometimes causes them to cook on the edges.  Also, I have thawed meat in the wok, but you have to be careful that it doesn't steam.   

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 04-14-2014 - 1:39pm

k_roni wrote:

A quick way to defrost them is to seal them in a zipper bag and submerge them in hot tap water. 

I do it this way too, only cold water. I was under the assumption that you shouldn't use hot water. Have you ever had a problem? (I actually have chicken defrosting in the sink in water right now! LOL)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2014 - 2:54pm

Thanks, everyone! I am thankful for all the help.Laughing

Community Leader
Tue, 04-15-2014 - 7:57pm

Never a problem, but I always heard cold water too.  Then the Sous Vide revolution happened, and as long as your water is not hotter than you want the finished meat to be (tap water won't be), you will be fine!  Remember that when you are throwing a bag of frozen chicken into a pan of hot tap water, you ARE throwing ice into it...the temperature will drop, and you will be in a safe zone.  Just keep an eye on it.  

Photobucket