Do you make something special for St. Patrick's Day?

iVillage Member
Do you make something special for St. Patrick's Day?
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 11:59am

Even though my family is Scottish, not Irish, my grandmother would make corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day. I, on the other hand, never cook anything special for the holiday. How about you?

If you're looking for some recipes, here are a few our editors have put together~

Our Favorite St. Patrick’s Day Recipes

Celebrate with some hearty Irish fare the whole family will enjoy

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I usually make corned beef, if not on the day, close to it since they are usually on sale about that time. I have never made cabbage with it, it's not my favorite thing. But DH likes it, only veggie he does like, so I'm making it this year.

~Misty~

Community Leader

Men seem to ALL love cabbage.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
My DH will not eat cabbage!! Once in a while a bit of coleslaw or sauerkraut, but not often, but just cooked cabbage, no way!! I enjoy it, though. Usually I do corned beef & cabbage for St patrick's day. We had it every year growing up, being the Irish-American family that we are. I fixed it a few weeks ago, just got a craving, so I won't be doing it tomorrow. I will grab a few to throw in the fridge while they are on sale.

Community Leader

It's rainy, I decided to stay in with my furkids.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mmm, spareribs & sauerkraut with buttery mashed potatoes. A family favorite when I was growing up, even though we are Irish, without a hint of German on either side!! Yeah, DH won't eat that with, but Caleb & Levi will. Levi eats the kraut, too, Caleb just wants the meat! I don't know if kraut goes bad, or how you'd know if it did!! Lol. Mmmm, real kielbasa sounds delicious to me right know. It is cold & windy, that would warm me right up!

iVillage Member
My corned beef turned out really good! I cabbage for DH, cooked it in th beef juice, and I actually like it a bit. i didn't eat a lot, but I could eat it once in a while....like once a year...lol. Corned beef though, I could eat every week!! And a plus ofr me, NO carbs!

Kraut, a big NO for me. My dad used ot eat it a lot, hes German and loved it when he was in the Korean War in Germany, he got the good stuff then. But I've never learned to like it. But it would be good for me, vinegar lowers blood sugar!

~Misty~