Do you use a rice cooker?

Community Leader
Do you use a rice cooker?
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 8:46pm

In our last long thread about slow cookers (LOL, we have so many), just about everyone complained that the newer ones cook too hot.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-30-2011 - 4:07pm
Mmmm, I love rice pudding!! That is about the only time we had rice as a kid. Two of my boys love rice pudding the oldest does not & DH isn't a big fan.
My dad would make Chinese style pepper steak once in a great while & we'd have rice with that, but we didn't eat much rice back then. We eat it fairly often, i was planning to serve it tonight with pork tenderloin, but a pkg of barley caught my eye. My oldest brother serves rice quite often, too. My other brother is a steak & potatoes guy.

Community Leader
Tue, 08-30-2011 - 11:31am

Rice pudding and rice salads are common around here, so cold rice to me is not unthinkable.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-29-2011 - 11:55pm
When I make rice for DH, I make it hours ahead of time, and he prefers it cold. Yup, cold with just shoyu 9soy sauce) on it. My DD3 likes it that way aloso. When you eat it cold, it comes right out of the pot, no scrubbing required. If you takeit out when it'sstill hot, it does leave a layer of rice stuck to the bottom. I soak. The one I have is pretty small, makes 4 cups.

But I agree, if you aren't making it a few times a week, it's probably not necessary.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Mon, 08-29-2011 - 2:43pm

I have never had a problem with cooking rice.

But I do have several friends that have electric rice cookers.......and every one of them had rice stuck in it when they were done and some were bulky and for the same reason I never liked some slow cookers (hard to clean) buying a rice cooker is not on my "must have list"......

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 4:41pm
The rice cooker was the best thing that my husband brought to our relationship! I had never heard of them before and laughed so hard at it, "Is it really that hard to cook rice!?" but I ate my words. It is so easy to just throw in the rice and water and forget about it, yet get perfect rice each time.
Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 6:51pm

That's helpful!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 5:47pm
I couldn't live a week without my rice cooker. I've no clue what temp they cook at, all I know is that I put in two cups of rice, fill it to the line, turn it on and wait 20 minutes! It's THAT easy to make perfect sticky rice, every time. I only use calrose rice, DH would divorce me if I cooked anything else. I wouldn't know how to make rice without my rice cooker. I have the four cup one, but my DH's uncles in Hawaii have 8 cup ones. I got a rack with mine, you can steam in it also, but there isn't much room to do more than one thing at a time I think, I've never tried it.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 9:31am
No rice cooker here. DH used bought one when he was TDY for 6 weeks & was using it to cook in his room, but I never used it & we sold it at a garage sale, I think.