EASTER thoughts

Community Leader
EASTER thoughts
Wed, 03-19-2014 - 10:48am

Just wondering what others are thinking  on  Easter

Will it be  the same old same old stuff or  something new-Cool

I am going to do the basic stuff I think but its to early just yet..

Just curious on what others are doing..

Up here we are still in snow country...

<

Pages

Community Leader
Wed, 03-19-2014 - 8:14pm

I have not given it a thought yet.  As always, I'll be looking for my daughter to give me my schedule and to-do list.  LOL!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-19-2014 - 8:19pm

Crazy weather here, 60 degrees and sunny one day, rain and snow the next.  Cannot believe it is spring already!

In the midst of doing a complete kitchen remodel, would be lucky to have a working kitchen by Easter (keeping my fingers crossed). Most likely just going to be a simple brunch of hot-crossed buns, some kind of egg-dish, smoked salmon, and fruit/salad at someone else's house.  I am very fortunate that most of my friends love my cooking and have a standing invitation from a few to cook at their kitchen anytime!  ;-)  Just need advance notice and coordination, that's all.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-20-2014 - 11:04am

It is definitely going to be something new at my house. I am going to try an Easter spread for a few friends and I want to do the cooking myself.

I was thinking of baking a ham and attempting potato salad but it might be easier if I get the ham from the deli and experiment with baking and slicing on some other occasion. How difficult is it to do it yourself anyways? I have never made potato salad so I will definitely needs some help with a very simple step by step recipe if any of you have one. Besides boiled eggs (which I can do hahaha) what else would you recommend? 

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-21-2014 - 11:43am

Hi! (: 

We'll be doing same old stuff. I like doing ham and all that. I love Easter so I've been planning already.

Community Leader
Fri, 03-21-2014 - 12:27pm

We're doing Easter at my sister's house this year. First time I've relinquished duties. I'm a bit sad. :( 

I am, however, going to try to "wow" them though! LOL I'm going to make this to bring:

And I also want to bring this but I'm thinking one bigger 'pot' with carrots in it and around the pot on a platter:

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-24-2014 - 9:07am

Erin, I love that! What great ideas. I may borrow your potted "plant". That would be such a cute centerpiece.

Brenda

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-24-2014 - 3:38pm

WOHO!  I manage to logg in! WOHO!

We will have  egg, egg toppings, meatballs,  ham, bread or chicken and for dessert germknödel with custard.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 1:28pm

I like the plantar centerpiece too.

I'll probably dish up a ham and some traditional side dishes. My family has come to expect the same thing each year.

Community Leader
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 7:30pm

Baking and slicing a ham is not difficult.  You have to pay attention to what sort of ham you buy; there is a lot out there and big differences among them.  Potato salad is simple enough.  I like mustard potato salad (goes better with ham anyway) and I don't always use the same type of potatoes.  At my restaurants I used the russets that we kept on hand for baking and for all purpose use.  But at home I like to use Yukon golds or red boiling potatoes.  From there, the plan is fairly simple.  

Peel and cube the potatoes.  The more uniformly they are cut, the less time it takes to cook them.  Drain them when they are done, and have your prep done on vegetables while the potatoes are cooking:  finely chopped celery, bell pepper, and onion.  Toss the veggies with the potatoes, along with a little mayo, mustard, garlic salt, sweet pickle relish, a splash of vinegar, and TOSS TOSS TOSS until the potatoes are as smooth or chunky as you like.  You can always add more of anything as you taste; I probably adjust mine 3-4 times before I am happy and I have been making it this way since the 60's.  Chopped boiled eggs are an option to toss into your potato salad; I have issues with eggs so I don't add them.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 7:33pm
Hi Hanna! Glad you got in!
Photobucket

Pages