Favorite way to cook a turkey?

iVillage Member
Favorite way to cook a turkey?
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 4:43pm

What's your favorite way to cook a turkey? It doesn't have to be a way you've done it, it could be the best turkey you've had at someone else's house too.

I've tried a few different ways, but my favorite was the time I brined the bird. It was the biggest PITB too :smileyvery-happy: but the best flavor. I used a brine mix that I found at a local kitchen store. It had all kinds of seasonings in it.

My least favorite was the year I tried one of Martha Stewart's recipes that involved wine and cheesecloth.

Here are some ideas if you're thinking about shaking things up this year...

Deliciously Easy Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes

Forget all those bland, boring birds you've even in the past. These Thanksgiving turkey recipes are juicy, flavorful, and most importantly, easy
http://www.ivillage.com/easy-turkey-recipes/3-b-297611

Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 9:54pm

My baby brother is also a foodie, and for about 20 years he has made a side income on deep frying the turkey, he takes orders and people interrupt our meal all day long coming after their birds.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 10:27pm
I'm boring. I just stick him in the oven with some butter, salt and pepper and stuffed as full as I ca get him with dressing. Mine always have been good, but the past couple of years I've learned not to over cook it, and they've been really moist.

I think I'd like to brine, but watched Alton do it once on TV, it looked way too involved for me. I had smoked turkey once from my uncle, and I really hated it, it tasted like a burn barrel.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 12:06am
We have brined lots of chickens, but I can't remember if we've brined a turkey. We roast our bird stuffed every year & it is always moist & delicious. I can't think of any particular bird that stands out as the best -- they are just always yummy!

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 12:25pm
That's what I usually do to, Misty. I was planning on doing that this year, but now I'm second guessing myself. There are just so many great looking recipes out there!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 12:26pm
Is that the secret? Stuffing the bird? I've never done it. I guess I'm always afraid that it won't get cooked enough and someone will get sick. I'm not known to be the best chef in town. ;)
Photobucket

Community Leader
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 1:38pm

Caution is wise with stuffed poultry.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 6:58pm
My favorite way is a citrus and herb thing I found on allrecipies.com. You take a mixture of herbs, lemon slices, and orange slices and put them under the skin of the breast meat. And stuff what you couldn't fit under the skin into the bird :) Its very very tasty that way :) I hate when the bird is overdone and drys out :(
Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 8:34pm

I did not like turkey as a child, it was so dry I could not get it down.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-10-2011 - 9:27am
Yeah, as a child I thought turkey was supposed to be dry........ I know better now, just wish I could convince my mother not to cook it the way she does :( She over does it.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 11-10-2011 - 2:44pm

To bad you got a bad smoked turkey they are really good.....my problem with most smoked meat is that they all taste like ham......no matter if it is fish or turkey....

I don't think the brined bird needs to be as involved as Alton makes it to me if you do a smaller bird things are easier....

We always fixed a 12# and found that even in the later years there was plenty when there were more people and now at our gatherings I find that people (us old ones) don't eat as much as we used to...

But my dressing was always the hit....and when they came out with chicken broth and stock in a box I can take the juice from the turkey and make dressing and lots of good gravy......

But if done right a deep fried turkey is the best..... the thing is not to over cook it...Some friends of ours gave us one for Christmas a couple years ago and that skin was heaven...( I am a crisp skin fan) and the meat even several days later was tasty and not a bit dry like a roast one gets.....I vote for a good deep fried one.....

Pages