Finally found something new to do with ground beef

iVillage Member
Finally found something new to do with ground beef
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 7:52pm

So I had let myself get stuck in a rut with dinners and so I didn't want to cook. Finally used my favorite recipe site, allrecipes.com, and found me something new to do. Need to keep finding more so I don't get bored again, lol.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 11:40pm
So, what is your something new? I love allrecipes!! My new face site is skinnytaste.

iVillage Member
Its called Army SOS creamed ground beef on the site. Its simple really, brown the meat, add flour and S&P (although I don't cook with salt) and stir until flour is browned then add milk and some Worcestershire sauce. I served it over rice and my DH suggested a white gravy to cap it next time. I just might do that too.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sounds like my mom's Hamburger Gravy...just hamburger browned, then a pan gravy made wtih the drippings. She served it over toast...the usual SOS I guess. I make it once in a while, but I usually serve it over rice or egg noodles instead.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Unless I actually cook with beef, I don't get enough drippings to make a gravy with. I'm usually cooking with elk or deer that has been hunted so not enough fat to make a gravy from on them animals. I went vegetarian for a short while in high school, then figured out that it was just red meat I didn't like the taste of anymore, then my now DH introduced me to venison steak and I'm back to eating meat. Just not much, not my cup of tea and I invariably married a carnivore :)
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 05-26-2011 - 10:53pm

Yep, that is EXACTLY my mom's hamburger gravy.

Photobucket