Finally put a pot of veggie beef soup on

Community Leader
Finally put a pot of veggie beef soup on
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 8:50pm

I laid out a couple of steaks with the intention of grinding them for burgers.  OK, you may not know this, I buy large cuts of meat and slice/grind (do my own butchering).  My steaks were suddenly inspired to become something else...

So I started making beef tips.  To go with the angel hair pasta I have in the fridge.  But fresh veggies were calling to me...

So I dumped the steak tips over into a large stewpot (not large enough) and started adding stuff from the produce drawer.  OH, I have an official regulation pot of North Heights Restaurant Vegetable Beef Stew gestating on my stove!  If it doesn't overflow...I really should have gotten out a bigger stewpot.  

OK, I got a bigger stew pot.  I think I could live on veggie beef soup.  If I could have fried chicken for dessert.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:06am

I could live on vegetable soups.  Well soups.  Add meat, veggies, dumplings, noodles, rice, orzo, or anything your little ol' heart desires. I made the yummiest pumpkin coffee cake yesterday and I can not stop eating it!!!!  HELP.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 12:34pm
It's about soup season here, but still getting into the 90's! Blah, where is my cool temps? I'm still waiting for the cool down so I can really COOK.

My family loves dumplings. DH doesn't care for soup unless it's with dumplings or tomato with grilled cheese. My DD's don't like tomato or grilled cheese. So, it's either soup just for me and the girls or chicken noodle with dumplings. But I alone could live on soup also. I love just about any kind. Except green pea...bought that on accident not long ago and am still trying to find someone to take it!

I make a really great beef stew, but the DD's don't like it. I should try and make some veggie beef, the love the canned stuff, so it would be nice to make some good homemade stuff.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 7:12pm

Funny you'd mention dumplings.  Chicken and dumplings is my mission for this weekend!  I set a chicken in the fridge to thaw last night.  I make both rolled and dropped dumplings, depends on my mood.  Which way do you do yours?  

I'm with ya on the pea soup...won't touch it.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 2:34pm
WOW what will you do with all this food you make freeze it..
I know I do the same thing here with making all kinds of things..
Just for me I own 2 refrigerators and 3 deep freezers and I m to the limit of using those... I started to make jelly that is not froze..

Just curious on what you do with all the stuff you make.. I have a family of 4 and they eat like a restaurant here...
<
Community Leader
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 2:35pm
I use the drop ones rolled ones are biscuits... chicken a biscuits.. are good too but we just had those last week...
<
Community Leader
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 6:26pm

I pack it up in containers to take in my lunch.  I'll freeze some. Then when I am ready for work I can just pick one.  I really would do better to stop batch cooking like I do but I got so ingrained in the process with my restaurants that I just don't stop.  And I cook way too much!

Photobucket