Flavor

Community Leader
Flavor
Mon, 12-13-2010 - 3:43pm

Ok, this is really strange. But the first time I ever made beef stew all those years ago, I cut up the beef and threw it in a hot pan and let it brown. I then added a little water a can of tomatos and some tomato juice. Then the carrots, onions and celery. But I also used French's Beef Stew Mix. We loved the flavor of this.. Since the kids have been gone I would just make a little beef soup and put in homemade noodles for the 2 of us.

A few years ago after the kids were gone I made up some stew and found that French's had been replaces by McCormacks so I got a package of that and it was nasty the stew tasted like old wood chips or something. Since then when ever I came across French's I would buy about 5 pkg.....guess what? I am out.

Does anyone know what was in that stuff that gave it the richness and the flavor?

Now days I use beef stock instead of water. And I put in garlic that I never did years ago. But with the right seasoning it was sooo good. What I have on the stove now tastes weak. I added some thyme, papricka and a little garlic powder. It is closer to the taste but still flat....

I do not like Cumin that reminds me of that other seasoning and no one here likes that.

What did French's have in it ?

Thanks for any ideas...

iVillage Member
In reply to: emty_nstr
Tue, 12-14-2010 - 10:49am

Have you looked at Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Frenchs-Beef-Stew-Seasoning-count/dp/B0007SNZK2

You can also order here

http://www.spiceadvice.com/product_guide/index.html

When you get to that web page click "Click Here for Web Ordering" then scroll down to the French's section and go from there.

I know that doesnt help you create your own, but if you wanted some more bags of the stuff, check out those prices.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Community Leader
Tue, 12-14-2010 - 11:27pm

I would bet money that what you are missing in that mix is some form of sodium, not actually a flavor.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 02-02-2011 - 8:57pm

I think you are right....when we were young and the folks would give us the stuff they didn't want when they butchered I would have the ribs and ox tails etc.....I mean I can remember that if you went to buy that stuff in the store it would be like 19¢ a #..... wish it still was....lol

Community Leader
Wed, 02-02-2011 - 10:14pm
"I think you are right....when we were young and the folks would give us the stuff they didn't want when they butchered I would have the ribs and ox tails etc"

LOLOLOLOL!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-03-2011 - 9:48am

One other option is to order a few of the packets from one of the sites listed and then write down what is in them and play at adding the spices they list. Using bones browing them with your meat, will give you a better taste, as will dicing up some onion and celery and carrots and sweating them before adding liquid to the pot. I remove the meat and bones before sweating the veggies. I add a little tomato paste brown that, adding a little flour, then add in my liquid, mixing well.

Community Leader
Thu, 02-03-2011 - 8:41pm
That's very good advice!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 02-04-2011 - 2:24pm
Have you ever added a little of
that Kitchen Bouquet seasoning to it that maybe what your missing.
* I myself use or add garlic to it
for health issues.
<